Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Quilter Sweet 16 .... OR ..... >

Handi Quilter Sweet 16 .... OR .....

Handi Quilter Sweet 16 .... OR .....

Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Handi Quilter Sweet 16 .... OR .....

I'm baaaack.

Well, ok, I have narrowed down my choices. I posted the other day about long arms. Thanks for all your wonderful replies. Since I was looking at several different machines @ the quilt show, I was slightly overwhelmed.

The good news is that I don't HAVE to do anything ... but I do want to do something.
I have quilted on my regular sewing machine.
I don't like it.
I also do NOT like that I've scratched it up a bit with pin marks & such, too.

I really feel ready to take the plunge & buy something.
I admit, I do like what I see in the BlockRockit, and the $$ is within my range, but the machine itself only has a 1 yr. warranty, and that does cause me to feel a bit of dis-ease.

If I don't go this route, I will buy used (because of the cost).
I can, right now, buy a Husqvarna Mega Quilter (9) for $1000.
Comes with frame, stitch regulator, etc.
Many of you here have said that you love it, others I know around here in my town tell me "no way," that I will be disappointed before I know it.

My other choice, and I can't sit on this, is I've found a Handi Quilter Sweet 16, that I can buy for $3500.
It has 44,000 stitches on it. No stitch regulator.

When I first got involved in quilting I fell in love with the HQ at the quilt shop, because of the large throat area. I've looked for one of these for two years (used). It was only after I was at the quilt show last week that I gave a second look to the mid-arms.

Is the HQ only good for free motion quilting? If so, ok .... that is what I'm thinking that it is good for. Being brand new at this, if it gives me more options than my regular old sewing machine .... GREAT.

Honestly, I'd rather spend $1000 than over $3000 (we are not wealthy people ... this is true sacrifice).
Yet I want to enjoy what I buy also.

Please help me understand the differences in the machines.
Thank you!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM

I have a correction to add ..... the HQ Sweet 16 machine has 440,000 stitches on it to date.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:18 PM

The HQ is designed for free motion only. There are no feed dogs. You can also thread paint with it. I think you would be very happy with the HQ. 44,000 stitches is practically new. I purchased mine new for a little under 5,000 without the stitch regulator. I do not miss having a stitch regulator.

Cheers, K

ETA - just saw your stitch count update. 440K is still not that many stitches, compared to the potential life of the machine.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I think it would be fine to purchase the Sweet 16. If you change your mind later and decide you want a frame setup, I think it would be rather easy to sell it for $1,000. There is usually someone in a quilt guild who is saving up for that type of machine and who would jump at the chance to buy one used.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM

If you decided to change to a stand up model. The Sweet 16 can be upgraded so your money is still well spent.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM

I really think you would be GREATLY disappointed with the MegaQuilter (if it's the 9" harp one), UNLESS... all you're planning on doing with it is smaller quilts (twin or smaller). If you want to be able to do full/queen/king quilts, the MegaQuilter (9) just will NOT be able to handle that in a single "load". The only way to do the larger quilts on the smaller machines is to quilt halfway, then take the quilt off the frame, reload it from the other end and go from there.
Now... another option...
I got my machine from SewingMachinesPlus. Mine is the MegaQuilter 18x8 (essentially a Tin Lizzie). SMP has financing, and often has unadvertised specials, you just have to ask about them.

If you feel like you HAVE to have something RIGHT NOW, and you're really in love with the HQ16, get that one. Seriously, $1000 for the MegaQuilter (9) is going to be something you will regret. There's one on eBay right now, priced at $450, and there's not a SINGLE bid on it. That should tell you something.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:20 PM

I think you'd love the Sweet 16. Also, ask about pano's and rulers. Maybe you can copy the pano's onto lighter weight paper and then sew through. I would wonder if there were a way to use the rulers, so they wouldn't slip.

Years ago I saw a 'cradle' that you could use with any sit down machine. If I can figure out how and when to download my picture files onto this new laptop I'll have a picture to show.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:25 PM

I have a Handiquilter Avante (similar to a 16) and I absolutely love it! Couldn't be more pleased with it's performance. A quilty friend of mine has the Sweet 16 that she's had for several years. She is still extremely pleased with her machine too. She doesn't use a stitch regulator and her quilting is beautiful.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM

I am just finishing my second quilt on my new Tiara (same machine as the HQ Sweet 16), and I love it. No stitch regulator. I can't imagine having only a 9" harp. That would be like quilting on a domestic machine. Lots of folks do it, but if the quilt is bigger than a table runner, I don't enjoy the quilting process on a domestic. I vote for the Sweet 16.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 PM

I just got a Sweet 16 and go for my first class tomorrow. I've been playing with it for the last week and just love it! I think you'd be really happy with it.