Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Midarm quilter - need your opinion about mixing quilting technique >

Midarm quilter - need your opinion about mixing quilting technique

Midarm quilter - need your opinion about mixing quilting technique

Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 AM

Default Midarm quilter - need your opinion about mixing quilting technique

Hi,
I am thinking about getting a frame for my beloved Juki TL-98. I didn't had the room before, but a new larger sewing room is coming for me in a few weeks.
I currently do walking foot large area quilting on my Juki and fine smallest area quilting on my Bernina 730 with a BSR foot. I really like it but I HATE to baste my quilts and I just don't have the floor/table space to do it easily (having also young kids rooming around!)
Being an advanced beginner in quilting, having to learn a new way of quilting is not that bad, so it may be the good time to get a frame.
I find one available in my area for a good price; it`s a B-line studio model that can be set up to 5', 7', 10' and 12'.
About 95% of my quilt would fit in the 7' setting, being not larger than 60-65 inch. It would leave more space in the sewing room. But I sometimes quilt a twin size for one of my numerous nephews. I think it would be a lot of trouble to expand it for just one quilt.
So, would it be possible to quilt the middle of the quilt on the frame, then put it off and finish the remaining edges with my Bernina without basting it? Of course the designs would have to be choosed accordingly. But did any of you ever did something like this? Is it possible?
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482072[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482073[/ATTACH]Why not--it is your creation, how ever you choose to do it! I am presently mixing hand quilting with FMQ...just finished 2 with this method. The Dresden Plate is hand quilted in the centers & around the inside edge of the yellow circles. The Bicentennial is hand quilted in the bars & FMQ in the star blocks. I am enjoying my new alternatives. I have flipped in the pix so that the backings show and the matching block trims across the top of the backs
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by mermaid; 07-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM

the 7 foot setting on your frame would allow you about 80 inches of quilting space, which should be wide enough for a twin, since twin batting itself is narrower than that. You should not need to remove it from the frame. If you were to go larger you would need to expand your frame. When you are loading your quilt onto your frame, the quilt needs to lay flat all the way across the bars, you can not ' squish' the sides up to fit or your quilt will not roll properly on the rails.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM

My frame is 9', and does my lap-size quilts perfectly without bumping into the edge clamps. Remember, you need to have enough room between the leaders and the frame edge at one end to pull your machine over so you can change your bobbin (you don't want to try to do that by reaching under the leaders - ask me how I know - it's a pain!), and you also have to add at least 6-8" on either end for the amount of space between your needle and the edge of your machine. You won't be able to quilt to the left or right of that area on your frame.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Mermaid, your quilts are beautiful! I hope I will find someday the patience to do hand quilting...
Cindy, what frame are you using? A 8' or 9' setting would be perfect for most of my need, but I found only the Hinterberg stretch that was customizable.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Thank you, profannie. I love hand quilting and have always done my quilts that way-- until I found this site and read so much about FMQ. I am struggling to learn it, but so far only 'meander', and some hearts & daisies. The machine quilting is lots of fun, tho.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 AM

You can certainly do what you want, I think the 7 foot would work for a twin bed. Go for it and have lots of fun.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Mermaid, your quilts are beautiful! I hope I will find someday the patience to do hand quilting...
Cindy, what frame are you using? A 8' or 9' setting would be perfect for most of my need, but I found only the Hinterberg stretch that was customizable.
I am using the Hinterberg frame