Needles needed

Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Default Needles needed

Help, I just broke my only New Glenwood treadle machine needle. The universal needle I tried did not work. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 PM

who made your machine? "New Glenwood" is a brand name, and it's probably made by Davis, National or White (AG Mason), though there are several other possiblities too.

Normally "Universal" is a type of needle (like ball point or Jeans) and not a machine specific size or even a diameter of needle size. Though most typically you'll have picked up a needle that fits Singer and most others. It's the most common size you'll find.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM

My New Glenwood was manufactured by AG Mason (White). I tried Singer Universal Regular Point Needles and could not get machine to sew. So, I should try a Singer brand? Thank you for your help
Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Is it a shuttle or round bobbin (rotary)? If its a shuttle bobbin it may be one of the 20x1, or Free BB, or Boye #4, 12 or 14. Alternatitively you might drop a standard 15*1 (Commonly used) about the equiv of the diameter of the shank of the needle. Slide the plates open and turn by hand and see if the tip of the shuttle will enter the loop above the eye of the needle. Making sure the long groove is away from the shuttle. Might need a pice of fabic ulin to help the loop form. If it doesnt pick up the loop, drop it a skosh more til it does.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Sounds like you have a White VS machine (I have three of them) and no - the needles that fit regular Singer machines are going to be too short. At least needles are easier to find than the shuttles and bobbins for the White VS style machines.

This would take a Boye size 12 needle. I don't know if there is any modern equivalent, but vintage ones are for sale on eBay quite often.