Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmothers flower garden (hexies) >

grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Default grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

has anyone ever made a scrappy grandmothers flower garden quilt? I an cutting hexies and planning to sew by hand and would love to see what you guys have done.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM

I will be following this post, looking for ideas my self.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Yes I have but I have not finished the border yet because I am scared!!! I started out to do a cushion/pillow, and it grew and grew into a king sized quilt top. My husband loves it and funnily enough so do I. I never thought I would do one. I used random colours from my scrap bag. I will post a picture soon. I plan doing an applique vine on a plain calico border, but I do not know how to attach the border to the quilt yet. Any thoughts would be much appreciated from those with experience. I think I will have to do the applique first on the border first due to the size of the main body of the quilt then attach it when completed. I have made miniature flowers ready for the vine.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

I've done one, but no camera
i did all my flowers in brights. the ctrs were all different. the flowers, all six petals were the same colors. but every flower a different color.
my greens were al different. some had a small ladybug, spider or caterpillar on them. it's my kittys quilt, about 45 x 55 done in 3/4" hexes. i'll see if i can get someone to post a photo for me next week. look for it.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Oh, b/c i used all bright colors, i did a black border about 6" or so.
i appliqued the edges onto the black cotton
Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Lynnie-did you applique by hand or machine? I have a hexi table runner almost done with every hexi a different fabric and debating with myself how to finish it--thinking I will copy you and use a black border too. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Here is the bginning of mine, I'm using the diamond layout. I have lots more done but this is an earlier pic.
Attached Thumbnails rsz_img_3644.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I have never done a scrappy hex quilt yet. I am currently using the pattern of Lynnie's queen size quilt posted by her friend that has clusters of 3 hexes. I am doing it in bright print and also thinking of adding a black border. Will have to audition fabric when I am finished piecing.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 AM

I am "slowly" getting my 3rd hexie quilt done. Nearly finished with the quilting. It is in the diamond layout. I have made 2 other GFG but have not used the traditional layout. My avatar is one of them. I think the picture is also in the gallery. I have appliqued the edge to a straight border fabric, and appliqued a vines/flowers on the borders. I will try a different finish on the diamond one. Someone here on the board posted her way a month or so ago. Sorry I can't remember the posters name. Maybe she will pop on here. Anyway, you stitch hexies to the border, then turn them to the back and stitch down. She showed photos, and her work was lovely. Good luck with your GFG. I should add, mine are all scrappy.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM

There were several at the Sisters quilt show...one had a double-fold bias tape used to go around the hexxies edge..then hand sewn to back,one had cut the edges of the quilt off straight( losing the hexxies edge altogether). I have seen hexxies sewn to the back of each on the border and then appliqued on the back. I'm hand quilting a GMFG vintage quilt now and am wondering what to do with edge.