Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Family Quilts >

Antique Family Quilts

Antique Family Quilts

Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Koriana View Post
My mother inherited these quilts with the passing of my grandmother. I got them given to me when I started telling my mother what she needed to do to take care of them. Mom just smiled and said why don't you just take them now, you'd get them eventually anyway. The only condition is that they can never be sold. The first one is the oldest, made in 1872, as a baby quilt for my great-grandfather by his mother. It was the very first thing she sewed on her very first sewing machine...she even machine quilted it. It's made with 5 different red shirtings for the blocks. The 2nd one is dark blue (with small white stars) and white. It is a community quilt made by the Ladies Union Aid Society in 1889 (written in the corners of the quilt) and includes the names of more than 320 people (including about 50 relatives) living mostly in Stephenson Co, IL or Green Co, WI. The patch work is not the greatest (completed by hand) but the quilting is very nice. There are 2 red & white quilts that I have no information about when they were made or by whom. The plain red is a Jacob's Ladder set on point and the quilting is very nice in diagonal lines. The blue and white quilt bears a label saying that it was handmade by my great grandmother and her mother. I believe Hattie did the piecing and her mother quilted it. It is very, very finely quilted with fans and hearts over the patchwork and a wave pattern in the border (matching the border of the community quilt almost exactly). My mother says that this quilt was always on her grandmother's bed and even in my earliest memories of the room that my great grandmother had at my grandparents house, I can remember the blue and white patches. Unfortunately, one section is badly sun faded from the window. The last two are string quilts made by Hattie for my mother and her twin brother. Both are machine quilted. I feel very blessed to have received these quilts and cherish them dearly. My grandmother sewed every day and made the most beautiful clothes but she never quilted. As a quilter, it's nice to be able to reconnect with a quilting heritage in my family. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. Thanks for looking.
You sure have some great treasures they are very pretty GOD blessed you good.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Those are so beautiful..... what a great gift for you.....
Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 AM

what beautiful treasures
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM

What a wonderful gift your mother has given you. You said you were able to be "connected" to your ancestors, and that's a treasure that no amount of money could buy. Every one of these quilts is a treasure.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 AM

So happy you have them and know they are treasured.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Wow, those are lovely antique quilts. I have an avid interest in antique quilts and have several.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

You are so fortunate to have these quilts passed down from your grandmother, to mother, to you, they are an absolute treasure. I'm sure your Mom was happy to give them to you as she knew you would appreciate and take care of them. My Mom made a few quilts, but with 5 brothers and an older sister, they were well used and used up when I came along. The only thing I have of Mom's is a pair of embroidered pillowcases - she taught me to embroider and then to sew. I didn't start quilting until she had been gone a long time, however, I'm hoping that my family appreciates the quilts I have made for them. Besides my son and daughter, my DH and myself, I have made approximately 12 family reunion quilts, every other year to be raffled off, and I'm the only one who doesn't have one of them. My DD says the next quilt should be mine. It would be nice, but I get a good feeling knowing that my family appreciates what I make and that perhaps they will be handed down to another generation. You are so fortunate to have those quilts.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 AM

They are all special, but I love the blue and white.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

What a great piece of history
Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM

What a treasure you have! Thanks for sharing.