Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Planning My Own Online Only Quilt Shop >

Planning My Own Online Only Quilt Shop

Planning My Own Online Only Quilt Shop

Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 AM

I have a friend who closed her bricks and mortar store. She now sells on Etsy.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 AM

First of all let me say I love precuts and reproductions. I buy a LOT of fabric on EBAy from people just like you. If you are competitive in Your pricing, you can make money this way and let them worry about the overhead. If you have to acquire debt to do this, it's not worth it?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Mary, what you said almost exactly mirror images what I did. I retired from the Army and wanted to do something with my quilting/sewing/etc, but did not know for sure what and then my husband and I, also retired from the Navy, went into a printing business together. Liked it, but felt unfulfilled. A few years later, I decided to just go for it and get my e commerce website etc together and got going. Personal message me and I will be happy to chat more and the ups and down, etc. I can help you by telling you what I have learned over the last several years.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: remove PII
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM

it's one of those things - you can sell until they tell you not to. Technically, Etsy is for items that are handmade or vintage. The trick is that their vintage is anything more than 20 years old (that is sort of scary!). Many of us have fabric that is old and it would be hard to say it isn't real old. That is how people get around it. If someone complains to Etsy, they will check into it and you can have your site removed. That is the extreme, but it is in the rules. Usually they will just email you that their is a question about a certain item you are selling. Remove it and the inquiry stops. They have really beefed up the dept that checks into things - not so much for the home seller, but to make sure larger companies aren't coming in and reselling stuff.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I am doing this....on Etsy. There are a lot of people who sell fabric online...so I would do a lot of window shopping on different sites and see what they are charging and can you compete with the prices.

I sell previously owned fabric...buying can be very reasonable if you are in an area that a lot of people live and willing to wait and shop when someone sells their mothers stash. Selling retail means buying in quantity to get the best price. So check that out too.

I know it can be done...hope you get your chance to fulfill you dream.
This is probably a good idea for starting out. Amazon has a web builder also? I think. Unfortunately years ago, you could put your own code in to find web engines, now they are special and want money for that kinda thing. If you haven't blogged yet, I'd start one of those. That is free and then you can get followers and people that are wanting to follow what tips you have, information, etc. Get your husband involved if he wants to help with that kind of thing. I say start small and don't go out and get a loan just yet.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I have never had my own business but have worked in many. So, I may not be one to reply. But, my advice is to start small, DO NOT get a loan of any sort. Start small with what you have or can afford and let demand determine how you grow. Just keep it simple. Money can be made on ebay, craigslist and etsy. See what flys. Start with your own fabric and then expand as you can.
My thought exactly...starting small with an Etsy and/or Ebay shop will eliminate a need to purchase a lot of inventory at the beginning....and you can start to make a name for yourself through these avenues.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Congratulations on making our idea a reality! I cannot give you advice about how to run your business but I can tell you a customers side of things. I shop for fabric online all the time. I've even worked on a worldwide project with on "store" owner. I love her; she is the sweetest thing in the world. However her website stinks! 've quit shopping wit her because her website is so cumbersome to navigate. The fabrics do not scroll easily or viewing. There's only few on each page so you' re constantly choosing pages and her categories of fabric are not intuitive, if that is the word. design your website for fabric shoppers not for cuteness! Good luck! Be sure to let us know how we can buy from you.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
it's one of those things - you can sell until they tell you not to. Technically, Etsy is for items that are handmade or vintage. The trick is that their vintage is anything more than 20 years old (that is sort of scary!). Many of us have fabric that is old and it would be hard to say it isn't real old. That is how people get around it. If someone complains to Etsy, they will check into it and you can have your site removed. That is the extreme, but it is in the rules. Usually they will just email you that their is a question about a certain item you are selling. Remove it and the inquiry stops. They have really beefed up the dept that checks into things - not so much for the home seller, but to make sure larger companies aren't coming in and reselling stuff.
You can also sell supplies for crafters on Etsy. Fabric is a supply

Last edited by Treasureit; 07-21-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Good Luck! I'd try Ebay first as you don't have the problem with people finding you.....I type in "purple stars fabric" or whatever and it takes me to all of the choices that have those words in the title. As long as you have concise titles, buyers will find you. With all of the online quiltshops out there, I seem to never run across the same one twice when looking for something, which could be a problem for you. Again, I think Ebay is your solution. Also, I have concerns about your brick-nd-mortar location cutting heavily into profits. I know you need a place to cut but can you do it at your house? Or at a local church? Most churches have huge rows of tables and don't use the space in their fellowship hall much. You might be able to even barter for the use of space there.... Just some brainstorms.....keep us posted on what you decide. I'm not really a reproductions kind of gal (unless it's 30's repros!) but I will still cheer you on!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

From what you said - you are planning to sell fabrics that are in your stash?

You might consider trying to sell them on ebay or etsy first to get a feel for what is involved in getting things pictured and shipped?

If you are planning to buy from wholesalers, you will need some capital.