Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Antique Singer Treadle Sewing Machine in Alaska! >

Antique Singer Treadle Sewing Machine in Alaska!

Antique Singer Treadle Sewing Machine in Alaska!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Default Antique Singer Treadle Sewing Machine in Alaska!

I have a VERY old singer treadle in an oak cabinet with all the cast iron parts beneath. Do you have any idea what it's worth and how I can sell it? It has not been converted to electricity and does not seem to have any additional parts or manuals, or bobbins etc with it. I'm going to try to post pics here, but don't know if I'll be successful. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions from you will be greatly appreciated.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484301[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]484300[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140720_165533.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Not sure how things are up there, but around my area, the cabinet is going to determine the value for a machine in that condition, since the machine would be about $15 on a good day.

If the cabinet is in bad shape, then $25 may be all it would sell for. If very nice shape basic treadle, then $50, and at the top end, if pristine parlor cabinet with embossing, then $400 if you get someone like me that really wants the cabinet and does not care about the condition of the machine.

If the machine has been serviced and works well, then someone may pay $100 for a good usable machine - most of the value is in the servicing.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 AM

That's an average condition 66-1 with the redeye decals. If the remainder of the cabinet looks the same as what I can see it would go around $50.00 to $75 here in central IL.

The thing is treadles, unaltered ones especially, are hard to find around here. I don't know where they went, but you just don't see many of them for sale.

Joe
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 AM

Alaska is a very different market than down here in the rest of the states. That makes it very hard to give you any sort of decent price. Hawaii would be the same way. The best thing you can do, which may be harder up there is check your local ads and see what other people are at least asking for them. Asking price and selling price are two entirely different things but it will at least give you a starting point.
Your machine is a Singer model 66 with the Redeye decals. It looks like yours has been unaltered and still uses the back-clamp style feet. The decals are in decent but not perfect shape and the shellac clear coat looks fogged. They're a very common machine down here. Alaska being Alaska, I have a feeling that you see much less of any antique up there so the value may be higher there than down here.
Do you know the history of your machine at all?
Rodney
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM

you can find the year if you know what the serial number is, Singer has very good records.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 AM

That is a nice looking old 66 and will be a great machine for you of everything is workable. My favorite treadle, when the power goes out is just a plain old black 66.