Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Radiance quilt >

Radiance quilt

Radiance quilt

Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 PM

Default Radiance quilt

before today I loved this cotton/silk quilt about all quilts I have made, this quilt turned out lovely, I scalloped the edge and when I went to put the binding on, I discovered I cut my strips to be two narrow it hardly goes around the edge. I'm thinking about cutting the seam allowance way back so it will fit better. I'm so disappointed, I wanted a wider binding than usual and now I'm left with smaller than usual. What would you do? T thought it was going to look so soft and beautiful, can I save it?????
Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Recut new binding to fit
Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM

Don't cut yet!! Can't remember the name of it, but there is a binding technique that you use two narrower strips sewn together and then used as if one piece. Not sure if it works with scallops, but check it out first before you cut something. Especially if you were thinking of cutting tonight. As I have found out many, many times, late at night: Things cut at night can't be put back together in the morning (or something like that, lol)
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 PM

That technique is called binding with a flange and it is wonderful. There are tuts on you tube.
Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Don't cut yet!! Can't remember the name of it, but there is a binding technique that you use two narrower strips sewn together and then used as if one piece. Not sure if it works with scallops, but check it out first before you cut something. Especially if you were thinking of cutting tonight. As I have found out many, many times, late at night: Things cut at night can't be put back together in the morning (or something like that, lol)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 PM

I looked it up for you: It is very similar to the flange, depends on width of strips used.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Two-Tone-Quilt-Binding

But if you have scalloped edges, you probably are doing bias binding. Can you do a second row of stitches on the inside part of the binding to secure then trim a scant off the batting? That might give you the little bit of room that you need to turn it. You could try a little of the cut off binding on a sample to see if it would work before you cut the quilt.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

If you are doing binding on scallops, this is the time your need to cut the binding on the BIAS. I would cut new bias binding strips and start again. If you love this quilt, you will not be happy until the edge is done right.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

use the binding with a flange. a tut was written by Charismah, a member here. here is the link http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html
Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

Yes, did you cut the binding on the bias?? You need to do that for the binding to stretch around the curves of the scallops. Without a picture, I don't understand why you would want a wider binding on a scallop border. The less bulk, the better especially in the "V" sections where the curves end. Good Luck.