Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting the Border. Thoroughly Modern Baby >

Quilting the Border. Thoroughly Modern Baby

Quilting the Border. Thoroughly Modern Baby

Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Smile Quilting the Border. Thoroughly Modern Baby

This is the next grandchild's quilt - affectionately known as the hippo. Yes there is a story behind that! Showed the ultrasound to the big sister and asked "what is this?" She replied "a hippopotamus!"
My question is since I used a batting that allows for 10" spacing for quilting - should I quilt the lime green border? How? The binding will be mostly the blue but made of scrap strips. The back is blue flannel.
I'm using a variegated thread. Real actual quilting thread for the machine! First time for everything!
Also - prairie points - yes or no?
Attached Thumbnails hippo1.jpg   hippo2.jpg   border.plain.jpg   border.points.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

In my opinion, you still need to quilt the border. Although the width of the border would be fine in terms of quilting lines, I would not want to leave the long length of the border unquilted.

I love your curved quilting lines in the body! Could you skip the dark border and extend them through the green border? You could also simply do a curvy line all through the green border, encircling the quilt.

I wouldn't add prairie points. Love the central focus and, for me, adding prairie points would draw the eye away from that marvelous center!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM

I like the idea of the curvy lines in the green, whether extended or encircling. And I vote no on the prairie points, too.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Cute quilt! I think you need to put some quilting in the border, just a couple of slightly wavy lines around it would work. IMHO you should not add the prairie points as the quilt has a nice contemporary feel to it and I don't think prairie points add anything to it. But I am not a big fan of them in general.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

It looks like you might have some extra fabric in the border. Any pattern quilted along it is going to advance the fullness until you get a wrinkle. I would mark evenly spaced spots over the whole border. I would then use the bar tack feature on my Bernina to bar tack kind of like a tufted comforter. It looks like you have a nice puffy batt and the tufting would look real nice. As for the triangles, if you did the tufting, I would leave them off. Really cute and colourful quilt!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM

That's a really cute quilt, and the big sister hippo comment is adorable! I also would leave off the prairie points. Even though the batting says 10" I would quilt it a bit closer around the border just to control some of the puff (that would be my personal choice). I've seen lines, and they could be wavy lines, running perpendicular to the border, and there could be a few more lines in the wavier parts. The bartack thing described by Tartan would be cute too.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
In my opinion, you still need to quilt the border. Although the width of the border would be fine in terms of quilting lines, I would not want to leave the long length of the border unquilted.

I wouldn't add prairie points. Love the central focus and, for me, adding prairie points would draw the eye away from that marvelous center!
I agree. You need to do some simple quilting in the border. I wouldn't do the prairie points. The piecing of the Bargello should be the focal point of the quilt.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:05 PM

I agree that you would like some quilting on the border, but I also think the prairie points as you have laid out look cute and add a little whimsy.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 AM

I had the same thought as Prism99 - continue the quilting to the border and skip the prairie points. I do love prairie points, but I think they would take the focus away from your beautiful bargello!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 AM

Thanks for all the opinions. I ended up quilting in lines that look like the spines to feathers since I could not wrap my brain around extending the lines in the center - methinks I started at the narrow end. Now I have to rip out one side as I have too many lines on that side. This afternoon - just me and my seam ripper ...
I'll save the prairie points for another quilt or play pad.