Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusibles (?) Chart? >

Fusibles (?) Chart?

Fusibles (?) Chart?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 AM

Default Fusibles (?) Chart?

Howdy y'all

This board is so full of information that I'm sure this has been covered before, but I really didn't know what words to enter into the search field to look for it. I'm just wondering.....is there some sort of a chart or tutorial somewhere either here or on another website that tells you the differences between the different fusibles, and what they're used for? Actually, I guess they don't necessarily have to be fusibles, but I want to know what the difference is between interfacings, webbings, stabilizers, etc. It's nothing I NEED to know at this point in time...just something I'm really wanting to learn. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd sure appreciate it!

Donna
Old 07-31-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have never really seen any comparison chart. I think it's more of what your need is that depends on what product is best to fulfill that need. I don't have an embroidery machine so I bought a bolt of Pellon lightweight fusible interfacing that seems to work for me any time I need to use fusible interfacing such as backing a t-shirt for a quilt or applique.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Sulky has charts explaining the different Interfacings.... When to use which one and how to use them. Embroidery sites (machine dealers and product / thread suppliers) also have print outs available explaining them
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM

Try the Pellon website.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM

Since there are so many, when I find one I like I write the specifics down on the pattern and if I have an extra piece of that plastic that you get with it I include that as well. By doing this I don't have to wonder what worked.

I always keep a piece of the plastic pinned to the interfacing in my stash so I know what it is.

If I am shopping for more I always take along that piece of plastic with me because when I get to the fabric store the interfacing all turns into a sea of white and I can't remember exactly which kind and what weight I liked before.

Many times the people at the quilt shop or local fabric store are able to help as well. I don't have much luck with advice from the big chain stores however as I don't think many of the people who work there are actually sew themselves.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM

Emblibrary.com has tutorials on what type of stabilizer to use with different types of fabrics for machine embroidery. I have found it very helpful for both programmed embroidery and for free-hand embroidery.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM

Stabilizer - various kinds and thicknesses; used to stabilize fabric for embroidery
Webbing - it looks almost like pressed fine fiber. It is used for fusing fabrics together. It takes getting used to because it is wiggly (I detest it, but it has its uses)
Interfacing - fabric with one fusible side, generally used in garment sewing to give more stability to certain parts
Fusible - double sided, sometimes covered with paper on both sides, and sometimes on one side only. I use it for machine and wool appliqué. Comes in many weights depending on the fabric for which it is used.

i hope this gives you a general idea