Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Members of the Modern Quilt Guild here? >

Any Members of the Modern Quilt Guild here?

Any Members of the Modern Quilt Guild here?

Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 AM

Talking Any Members of the Modern Quilt Guild here?

Hi there!

I was wondering if there are any members of the Modern Quilt Guild (www.themodernquiltguild.com) here? Are the online resources and benefits worth the membership fee (I'd have to enter as an individual member, there is no actual guild anywhere near me)?

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:46 AM

I am a member. But my membership to the national organization that you mention came free with my $25 annual dues to my local TulsaModern Quilt guild. I do get emails from them with links to some free online quilting short classes (generally one hour long) that sound interesting but have not yet logged into one. Otherwise I think the biggest benefit relates to the huge QuiltCon show that is one of the biggest annual quilt shows. Being a MQG member gets you discounted entrance and class fees and first chance at the classes there that fill up in a matter of hours after registration begins. If you don't plan on going to QuiltCon, I am not sure there is much benefit if you don't have a local modern guild.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM

I am an individual member of the MQG. $25 membership has already paid off for me through doing all the webinars the gild puts on. Non-members pay $10 to participate. Also, I am thinking of entering something In the Quiltcon, and I am going to Austin whether my quilt gets in or not. For me, it is worth it. Quiltcon lectures and workshops filled up very quickly and there was nothing left for non-members, so this is a definite perk. If you are not interested in entering the Quiltcon, and if you are not interested in the webinars, than the incentive is really not there.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:58 PM

I have just joined as a member through the Modern Guild in my area so I don't have much experience yet. But I do know there are some free webinars only for members and I look forward to watching those. Wander through their website and see what you can see as a non-member and what is available only to members and then decide. I'd probably say "join" since you don't have a "real" guild in your area.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 PM

I belong to Eleanor Burns site, and Manitoba Prairie quilters, for those who wish to set up a free website, www.weebly.com where lots of Manitoba quilters register their quilt expertise, some have created tutorial.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 AM

I've seen the webinars and was wondering about them. Some of the topics sounded quiet interesting.

I won't be able to go to the Quiltcon (I'd love to go, but the plane ticket from Europe would be a bit too expensive! :P). I was thinking about entering a quilt or two of mine, but then, I'm a very new quilter, I'm sure there are plenty others out there who are far better quilters than me...
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy77 View Post
I've seen the webinars and was wondering about them. Some of the topics sounded quiet interesting.

I won't be able to go to the Quiltcon (I'd love to go, but the plane ticket from Europe would be a bit too expensive! :P). I was thinking about entering a quilt or two of mine, but then, I'm a very new quilter, I'm sure there are plenty others out there who are far better quilters than me...
It costs $30 to enter up to three quilts. All you need to do in the first round is send pictures. If they like what they see, then you need to send your quilt. The total number of quilts is not that high, but wouldn't it be awesome if you got juried in? I would be ecstatic. Remember, we are our own worst critics, and I am sure your quilts are great.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
It costs $30 to enter up to three quilts. All you need to do in the first round is send pictures. If they like what they see, then you need to send your quilt. The total number of quilts is not that high, but wouldn't it be awesome if you got juried in? I would be ecstatic. Remember, we are our own worst critics, and I am sure your quilts are great.
Doesn't it cost $30 per quilt you enter (with a maximum of 3 quilts)? And it would be awesome to get juried in! And to be honest, I've been working on a design the whole evening so I might just do it - if I finish before the end of November!

And yes, I'm most definitely my worst critic!

Have you already made the quilt(s) you want to enter or are you also still in the planning stages?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy77 View Post
Doesn't it cost $30 per quilt you enter (with a maximum of 3 quilts)? And it would be awesome to get juried in! And to be honest, I've been working on a design the whole evening so I might just do it - if I finish before the end of November!

And yes, I'm most definitely my worst critic!

Have you already made the quilt(s) you want to enter or are you also still in the planning stages?
I believe that you can enter as many quilts as you want, and it costs $30 dollars for up to three quilts. I have one top finished, and I am currently working on two. I planned on entering whatever I finish by the deadline. At this stage, I would be really happy to have one of them just juried in the show. All the designs are my own, and I will be doing the quilting, so God only knows how that is going to turn out I have so many ideas, but not so much time to execute them all
i am definitely going to the Quiltcon. No backing out now. I have already booked my hotel and airplane ticket and I managed to sign up for a workshop, several lectures and Moda party. It will be nice to escape my routine and leave gray and snowy New York in February. I am also looking forward to some good TexMex food, and immersing myself for three days in the modern quilting culture. I did not go to the first Quiltcon, so I do not know what to expect. I will be sure to take many photos. Good luck with your quilt, and I am looking forward to seeing it in Austin.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Tasha a, I hope you get some quilts entered at QuiltCon! I have never been but would love to go sometime. Will be looking forward to a full report from you about your experiences there!!