Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to charge for making a quilt. >

How to charge for making a quilt.

How to charge for making a quilt.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Get absolutely everthing in writing with signatures.....all materials paid up front by customer before any construction starts....50% of labor costs as deposit....agree on completion date in writing.....finished quilt delivered upon final payment, no money, no quilt
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 AM

Good Luck with it, if you decide to do it. Make it a small project is my advice. A memory item, not a huge quilt. Better yet, since she is crafty, offer to sew with her, letting her do it.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 AM

Don't use your own fabrics...make a list of ALL the necessary supplies you will need, backing fabric, setting fabric for the blocks, borders, thread, batting, etc. and don't skimp. Then estimate how many hours it will take to piece the quilt and add that figure. Then add the time it will take to quilt it and add that figure. Add a reasonable figure for "incidentals" such as a new blade for your cutter, new needle for your sewing machine, special thread for the quilting, etc. PUT IT IN WRITING. If she wants you to continue with the project, ask her to sign it. Then it's a contract.
I'm going to be surprised if you hear from her again. These are not cheap projects.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 AM

I have made lap quilts for several people from shirts and dresses. I charged between $50 and 150 for the quilts depending on what I had to do with the items. For one, the material was rather thin and I had to put muslin behind the material. Good Luck.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Lap quilt, tied, her shirts... I'd charge about $100. If there are additional materials needed (like for backing and binding) let her buy those and bring them to you.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

First thing that I suggest ANYONE who wants to make a quilt to sell, go out and buy the current issue of Quilter's Newsletter magazine Aug/Sept 2014. It is one of the most interesting articles I have ever read on "What's you Quit Worth" Then what Jan has suggested is absolutely correct.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Figure the cost of all supplies you will need to use, including batting, backing, and thread.
Figure how many hours you think making it will take, then multiple that by how much per hour you are willing to work for.

I don't care if the requester is your own family, GET IT WRITING with dates AND signatures after a price and time frame is settled upon! Write this on your eyeballs before you even talk to her again.

Jan in VA
Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 AM

I'm in the process of completing the last of my Bonnie Hunter "Celtic Solstice" blocks. My quilt is the KS. My husband asked me what I'm going to do with it. I told him that I don't know, maybe use it on our bed or the bed in the guest room. He said, "too bad you don't sell some of them." I told him, "I don't know anyone with that much money!" LOL There is a tremendous amount of work into most of the quilts I make because I don't generally make the 'quick and easy' type quilts. I should have kept up with the hours on this one, just to see how long it takes, but I didn't.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 AM

I'm sure I'll get blowback for this....but if it were me, I'd just make the quilt for the fun of making it and gifting it back to the co-worker. Have her buy the batt and then relax and enjoy putting this simple thing together. It takes all the pressure off you and if she wants to gift you later, then all the better. It seems like this would be a win-win and you could get on with making your own quilts.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM

On Tuesday afternoon I sent her an email and quoted a price of $150.00 which included the price of batting and backing. She sent me back a thumbs up sign. She was supposed to do a fabric content test that afternoon, but I haven't heard the results of that test. Maybe, after thinking about the cost, she has decided against going ahead with this. No skin off my nose, I have plenty of projects to keep me busy. I thought it was a very fair price.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM

I have a document titled "How to Value a Quilt for Sale" which was published in one of my guilds' newsletter. If you want a copy, email me at [email protected], and I will send a copy to you.

I agree with Jan in VA. You have to have an agreement about everything and it needs to be in writing.