Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need another project like another hole in my head, but >

Need another project like another hole in my head, but

Need another project like another hole in my head, but

Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Default Need another project like another hole in my head, but

After looking at (and getting interested) in one of the threads about denim quilts, my mind drifted to the trunk I have that is filled with denim from my sewing days. I have a 3 yd piece of peach denim, a black with flowers denim that is probably 3+ yds, and many blue pieces.

Using only the peach for back and front edge shape (and whatever for inside color) , how big a quilt do you think I could make? If I make it using a circle, what would be a good size circle to cut with the least waste? I was thinking to cut each circle in a row with the next row staggered so that the waste would be minimal. Don't want to cut, then find out it was the wrong way to do it. No way to go back to store and get more. This fabric is probably 25-30 yrs old.

I welcome any suggestions, ideas! Thank you.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 PM

What is the width of fabric? If it is 60", use a multiple of 60. Ie 10", 6", 5", 12"...for your circle diameter or block size. You could use the edge pieces for half circles, if need be. If you want to play around use large piece of paper, freezer paper. Wof and say wide enough of three or four rows of blocks. Lay the shapes out and find the most efficient layout. Read on other thread to buy rolls of paper at hardware store that the painters use to cover windows, big enough and cheap. This would be the way to start, you could figure overall size once you know, wof, how many you can get in the size you want.