Best way to move?????

Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Best way to move?????

I'm going to be moving about a half an hour away and am wondering what everyone has experienced in moving. I'm 60, widowed, and don't want to do the heavy, labor intensive lifting and moving. I've accumulated so much stuff in a three story large home.... uuuggghhh. Have any of you had good experiences with moving companies, and if so who would you recommend? Have some of you just hired some good strong college kids and rented a truck? Are there other options out there? The last time we moved was over 30 years ago and we did it ourselves, but I know that isn't an option now. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM

While the college kids would probably appreciate the money, unless you know them, I would not do that. You would probably be better off with someone who is bonded. I hate that we have to think like that but protecting yourself is smart.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM

I've had "Two Men and a Truck" help me with small moves before. Maybe check them out locally. (Think they are nationwide, not sure.) Best Wishes on your move. I'm sure others can offer advice here too.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Thirty years ago we moved five miles, and obviously we were much younger. We paid a moving company $333 (odd I still remember!), and that was the best money we ever spent - probably. Our children were young and of no "muscle" help. We packed everything and labeled the boxes for which room it was to go. The moving men quickly put boxes where indicated. My husband and I spent the next couple of weeks at night after work (sometimes until 1:00 A.M.) getting everything unpacked and in place. I have always been the type of person who wanted things done yesterday! After three surgeries in nine months, I no longer fit that description. I could easily sit and look at the boxes now!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM

I box up and move as much as I can in my car (household goods, clothes, small appliances) and leave the furniture and large appliances for a local mover to bring. Last time I got a little discount because my boss knew the owner of the company. If you have the furniture ready to go (I take the beds apart and empty all the dresser drawers), all they have to do is wrap it, load it, drive it over and unload it. I always have water and coke for them and I tip at the end of the trip.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 AM

We have only had national name moving companies, North American, Allied, Mayflower and United. They were all pretty good. I wouldn't go with someone that isn't well known to be reputable. I think Two Men and a Truck specializes in shorter moves and they seem to be all over. I've had the movers pack, which I would really recommend for you. But first you need to cull out what you don't want and maybe call in someone who does estate sales so they can try to sell the stuff you don't want. We've moved 7 times and each time it's gotten harder to deal with. Here in Florida there are people who specialize in helping older people sort through and dispose of stuff before they move. Good luck to you.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

We're thinking about moving in a couple of years, and what we plan on doing, is to yard sale or donate most of our "stuff", with the exception of my fabric and stuff, and tools, everything else, we'll buy used or new, so I'm afraid I'm not much help.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

You can NEVER start too early to start packing. I used Xerox boxes that I have collected over the years since they are easy to stack being the same size. I don't know who my friend called but they were awful. I think it said College students of which they weren't. Broke numerous drawers in both the chest and dresser which still haven't been fixed.

I would rent a storage unit near where you will be living and start to move all the small items into storage. That is what I had planned but since my friend was paying for the move, I agreed yo what he wanted done. Should have, could have but didn't!!

Label every box with what is in it, what room it is going and number each box and be SURE to write ALL THAT information in a notebook. Time to start purging. Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 AM

We moved Mom with "Two Men and a Truck" They were very careful and efficient. We didn't have to empty drawers. They wrapped the dressers in saran wrap, put them on the dolly and out it went into the truck. Anything breakable or of significant value - move yourself.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I also recommend the "Two Men and a Truck" kind of help.

Last time we moved, I went online and found a company that provided moving manpower for about $50 per hour per man. I hired two men and they helped my husband move everything from the truck into the house. Turned out it would have been better to hire three men, as then there would have been two pairs of men working together to carry stuff in. My husband underestimated the amount of work, so the men stayed extra hours, but they did manage to get everything into the house in one day.

Previously we had used a local company that basically sends out a small truck and a couple of men well-schooled in how to move things. They had come recommended from a friend, but I saw they are also listed in the yellow pages. They did a really good job moving a piano, and they were extremely fast and efficient moving things from one apartment to another. They did not have one of those big moving vans so, to move a large 3-story house, they would have had to make multiple trips. Or, perhaps they could send out several crews at a time.

I have seen some horror stories about families using the large moving van companies to move households. There was one story on tv where the mother researched companies online in order to find a good one. They loaded up the entire house and then disappeared. They lost all their photo albums, including irreplaceable vintage photos of the older generation. Whatever company you use, save all the photo albums and anything else that could never be replaced for your own car.

Edit: Here's a link to the "Two Men and a Truck" website where you can find more info.
http://www.twomenandatruck.com/home

Edit2: I just read through some of the reviews at the website, and it appears that quality varies a lot from one franchise to another. Be careful.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-26-2014 at 12:16 PM.