Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best method to sell a longarm? >

What is the best method to sell a longarm?

What is the best method to sell a longarm?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 AM

Default What is the best method to sell a longarm?

Good morning. I won a longarm in the AQS dream studio giveaway, and don't you know that our house went on the market 2 weeks ago and we will be moving shortly to a new area and a place which has NO ROOM for the machine! I have to sell it, and a shop owner advised me to put it on Longarm University, but does anyone have any experience with using them or any advice on the best way to do this? Disappointing; I had never used one before and had just started getting the hang of it! Thanks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-27-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: advertising not allowed
Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I would also advertise it to the local quilt guilds and quilt shops. Congratulations on your win - and so sorry you can't keep it. Is it possible for you to trade it for a sit-down machine that you might have room for in your new place?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I agree with Dunster to advertize at local quilt guilds and quilt shops. WOW, what a win. Do you have a friend that could store it for you???
Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I would try this! So sad!
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would also advertise it to the local quilt guilds and quilt shops. Congratulations on your win - and so sorry you can't keep it. Is it possible for you to trade it for a sit-down machine that you might have room for in your new place?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM

keeping in mind, prizes are considered income by the IRS so you will owe income taxe on what they have valued the machine at.
Just saying, be sure you get enough to pay the taxes when you sell.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Do you belong to a quilt guild? Even if you don't, I would contact any local quilt guild presidents and see if you can post it for sale there (hopefully with an explanation). You may be able to put a stack of flyers on the table for their monthly meeting and/or advertise in their newsletter.

Here is the Longarm University website for machine sale ads:
http://www.longarmuniversity.com/machines_for_sale.htm

House of Hanson is another one that is supposed to be good:
http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html

Also, there are some groups on Yahoo that have advertising pages. Website to join groups is groups.yahoo.com (you need to create a Yahoo ID, but groups are free). Groups with the potential to place an ad would include homequiltingsystems, sewitsforsale, gammillowners, statler_sisters, and there may be others. You can search Yahoo groups for possibilities.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:33 AM

I haven't been involved with a guild but was invited to a local one meeting tomorrow, and figured I'd spread the word. Good idea about flyers, that will be my project this afternoon! I'd sure like to be able to sell it to someone local to make it easier! Thanks for the good advice!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I purchased my midarm after finding a flyer on the table at our quilt guild meeting. You will want to get to the meeting early so as many members as possible see the flyer when they come in. Also check with someone on the board to make sure they are okay with your flyer (and possibly also make an announcement about it during the meeting!). Do be sure details on the flyer are accurate; my seller had a digit wrong in her telephone number, so I had to do some research to find a way to contact her! She had a black-and-white photo in her flyer, but I think a color photo would have attracted more people.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM

You might also try CraigsList for your area.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM

I see them on both Craigsllst and Ebay.