Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birthing a quilt >

Birthing a quilt

Birthing a quilt

Old 08-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Default Birthing a quilt

My eleven year old granddaughter has to do a community service project for each nine weeks of school. I suggested we make lap quilts for senior citizens in wheelchairs. I cut the fabric squares - for obvious reasons - and she sewed them together and added borders. She loves it and is so excited. Since machine quilting would be impossible for her, I suggested we birth them and then tie. My question...how do I finish the edges after the quilt is turned? Thanks for your help and any other suggestions.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day does that method. The edges of the quilt will not need much finishing as the raw edges will then be on the inside. the opening will need to be stitched. either by hand or perhaps by machine (if so, i'd stitch all around the quilt close to the edge). Tie the quilt as the batting suggests. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM

nativetexan is right - i do the same - once it's turned right side out i stitch all around the quilt about 1/2" from the edge. I think it gives it a nice finished look. It's a personal choice thing of course.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Is your DGD wants the finished look of a binding, you could always just add one over the birthed edges to appear "traditional".

Jan in VA
Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
nativetexan is right - i do the same - once it's turned right side out i stitch all around the quilt about 1/2" from the edge. I think it gives it a nice finished look. It's a personal choice thing of course.
That's what I do too. Sometimes I have made a half-inch (or so) seam when birthing, then I top stitch about 5/8 to 3/4 in. from the edge. It also makes a nice finish. Happystitcher, this is an awesome project for your GD.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I've only tied a couple of quilts. this one made of old blocks i bought at a quilt show.
I have a king size quilt on my bed made of 16 inch blocks. I tied it but can't find a photo right now. I used yarn to tie these. embroidery thread didn't work well for me.
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

found the king size one
Attached Thumbnails mad-plaid.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

i also stitch all around then i tie it shell have fun doing them!!good project for her!!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM

I'm new at this. I thanked everyone in another reply for their help but it didn't show up. So, thank you all for your help and suggestions .I'll try to get some pics up after we get the lap quilts finished. This is such a nice group.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Happystitcher View Post
My eleven year old granddaughter has to do a community service project for each nine weeks of school. I suggested we make lap quilts for senior citizens in wheelchairs. I cut the fabric squares - for obvious reasons - and she sewed them together and added borders. She loves it and is so excited. Since machine quilting would be impossible for her, I suggested we birth them and then tie. My question...how do I finish the edges after the quilt is turned? Thanks for your help and any other suggestions.
I always top stitch about an inch in from the edge.

I hate the term "birthed" but it does sum up turning inside out pretty well. Such a quilt does not have to be tied. It's a small quilt so a bit of machine quilting is quite possible. Pin good and do the machine stitching. And of course, hand quilting is possible, too.

Not that you asked, but IMO a 9 year old is old enough to use a scissors or a rotary cutter. Let her have the full effect of making a quilt-------including cutting pieces.