Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies >

ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies

ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies

Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM

Default ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies

I am wrestling with sewing these 1" hexies together. I made a GFG several yrs ago w/1 1/2" hexies using regular thread and needle...first attempt and went good. This time, I watched a few tutes, read a few articles, and the advise was use milliners needle #11 and silk thread. So, I bought both, which led to me to also buying the bohin needle threader because the eye of that milliners needle is sooooo tiny...NOW the problem is...... Even though I am using length of thread about 18", waxing with Heaven stuff, using silk thread and Mettler silk-like thread, the problem is the thread shreds and breaks about half way thru the length. So frustrating........ I am going to change to "regular" thread and "regular" needles and stop making this process so unnerving. Is anyone else doing hexies finding the same problems or is it just me......any words of wisdom?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Try using a shorter piece of sewing thread. When you are actually sewing a hexie,the thread and needle doesn't matter,since it won't show. I think using an 8 or 9 between needle and aurifil thread..weight about 80, and then using a ladder stitch will do the job more easily .
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM

I had a whole bunch of problems with thread breaking while I was making my GFG. I was convinced I had got a bad batch of thread because the problems started after I started a new reel. I had completely forgotten that I had also changed the needles I was using at the same time! I was using John James sharps (in the little plastic pebble) and I believe that the eye of the needle was cutting into the thread as I pulled it through, and either snapping the thread completely, or cutting just one little strand, which would make it bunch up as I tried to pull it through. It wasn't just one of the needles either, every single one in that pack did the same! I was SO frustrated, so I really feel for you right now!
I ended up using Clover Black Gold sharps (in size 9 i believe) and had no more problems! I had found with the John James needles they were also tarnishing really quickly, which I put down to the papers. The black gold needles lasted a lot longer before they were hard to pull through all the layers. I would definitely reccomend them (although not the smaller sizes, as they snapped in half all the time!)
I would say definitely try a different brand of needles to see if they are causing the problems. Then if no luck, I would guess it's the thread misbehaving! I used Superior King Tut (I know, it's a quilting thread!) because I had it lying around in the right colours and it was fine once I had the right needles!
Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 AM

I am having the same problems using Connecting Threads Essenntials 50W cotton thread--had to quit using the milliners 11 needle because of the small eye and needle bending. Am changing to regular thread today . The cotton thread knots and twists and shreds and breaks ---very frustrating. I am making table runners and have way over a thousand of 1 inch little buggers to sew together yet. No words of wisdom tho---just keep on stitching, I guess. We are moving next month so I have more packing to do and am wearing a boot on one foot for a stress fracture so can't be on my feet for long periods so have been using the hexies for stress relief-ha!!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I took a class from the 90s and I was taught to use hand quilting thread. I try real hard to get as much of the backside I can catch with the thread. There is NOTHING worse then having a thread knot or break.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 AM

..so far, thanks for these hints/solutions....will change needles, definitely.....these milliners are all bending and I do now think it s the needle threader that may be shredding one of the fibers, thus causing the breakage while I am sewing..something to do with physics....never took in school.....anyway....going to use my betweens and see...will also change thread! This is supposed to be fun.....and I am determined to make it that...although I don't have thousands done as mentioned...but working on it! Thanks, knew I count on good pointers!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM

Geri, I have had the exact same experience with James needles and silk thread. Beyond frustrating as you get to going really well and pop, there it goes! I thought I was doing something wrong, but have sewed for years and hadn't had the problem. So I will be switching to something else and I hear the frustration with those tiny eyes. Mine are weak!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I use silk thread all the time for hand piecing it is wonderful thread, I think your problem is the needle being too small... The size of the needle needs to be the correct size for the weight of the thread. I use 100 weight silk sometimes,but more often 60 weight which needs a larger needle. I usually use john James or Roxanne sharps for hand piecing, and English paper piecing
Old 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM

I use a Sharps #9 (bought a package of 20 off Joann's notion wall) and I am using Coats & Clark Dual Duty Thread for my scrappy 1" Hexie quilt. I have thread basted I can't tell you how many hexies and I have joined together 1,260 of the hexies and I have not had a single problem with thread tangling or shredding and my stitches do not show on the front. I sew with a piece of thread no longer than 18" and take a small whip stitch that only grabs the edge of the fabric. Sorry you are having so many troubles.

ETA: I just checked the needle packaging and they are Dritz brand.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 08-31-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:09 AM

I found that using the thin-est needle works best for me. I have a favorite. It is not a short needle. I bought a package of needles made in England years ago. They have a larger eye. I put them in a wooden needle holder so don't have a name. Sorry.
I am trying to use up thread. You know the spools that don't have enough left to bother putting it on the machine. The poly cotton seems to work out with out knotting, but I use what ever is on hand at the time. My threads are all on the backside so no matter the color. The hand quilting thread seems to heavy.