Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for a newbie pls! >

Help for a newbie pls!

Help for a newbie pls!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 AM

Smile Help for a newbie pls!

|hello!
I'm new to this board and to quilting!

I'm a home educating mum to four wonderful kiddos here in Wales, United Kingdom.

A while back I bought a layer cake mainly bc it was on sale. I didn't really know what I was doing and stumbled across the 10min block and then made this...

But now I'm not sure what to do next LOL!

If I knew what the fabric was I'd buy more and carry on but I bought it 2 years' ago and really haven't got the faintest idea what it was.

Does anyone have any idea pls?

thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

welcome, and it looks good so far, sorry - no suggestions
Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Welcome! I don't have a good idea what you should do next, but it is a cute block and you did a great job with it. Hopefully someone else will come up with something for you. There are so many talented quilters on this board.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Welcome to the board. You will find many wonderful and helpful people here. I think you top is very pretty. I don't recognize the fabric,but what you could do is take it to a fabric store and have the ladies there help you to match it to some yardage and sew a couple borders to the sides, depending on how big you want your top to be. You could just see 1 border.
I don't know what your sewing background is, but you did a great job. Hopefully I helped you a little. Gina
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 AM

Welcome to the board, from Oregon!

How big is your project now? Do you still have some more layer cake pieces?

The colors make me think of baby colors, baby quilt?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

looks like it may be 40x40 inches or so. too big for a pillow cover. I'd add borders and maybe more blocks of some sort. You could use solid colors that go with the prints. keep adding until it's a good size you can use. or perhaps a wall hanging to remember what you did.... Cute, and good luck and welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! If there are any fabric stores around you, I would take the piece in and get a yard (meter?) of a couple fabrics in coordinating colors and add a couple borders. Make them different widths for contrast. It's got lovely soft colors and would make a nice baby quilt.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM

I would make as many blocks as I could out of the original layer cake, then try to find something that coordinates with the colors to use as sashing and border and make a baby quilt. And might I add, your work looks terrific for a newbie!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Welcome to the board! If there are any fabric stores around you, I would take the piece in and get a yard (meter?) of a couple fabrics in coordinating colors and add a couple borders. Make them different widths for contrast. It's got lovely soft colors and would make a nice baby quilt.
This was my thought too. First decide what you want it to be--a baby quilt or a throw for the couch perhaps? Once you decide that and the size you want it to be, you can add one or two coordinating fabric borders, sandwich it together with batting and backing, quilt it with simple straight line stitching and add your binding. Cute item for your first project!! Welcome to the Board!!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 AM

That looks like Avignon by Riley Blake. There seems to be quite a bit of it available on Etsy (don't know what shipping charges would be like to the UK).

That's a lovely block you made! Welcome to the board!