Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
My Happy Sewing Room >

My Happy Sewing Room

My Happy Sewing Room

Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 PM

Default My Happy Sewing Room

I've been wanting to post some pics of my little sewing space. For many years, I sewed on a DIY counter of less than 4 feet wide next to the stackable washer/dryer. It was nice to have a place to put my machine, but I looked forward to the day when I would have more space. A few years ago we moved, and I didn't have a space at all except for the dining table, which is small and round. (Things fall off the edges of round tables!) This past Spring, our oldest son moved into his own place, our younger son moved into his bedroom, and I was able to take over his old room. This has been such a treat! I hide in there with my headphones on and lose track of time.

This is the room from the far wall. I store my thread and notions in the chest near the door. This is a pocket door to the bathroom, so I just let it serve as a wall. My sewing apron is hanging on the wall there too. On the other wall, closer to the window, is a cubby where I can store some of my fabrics. I don't keep many there because I don't want the light from the window to fade them, but I have my batting and some fabrics that I'm working with at the moment there. There is more in the closet, but it's messy in there and I have to maintain some dignity here!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490601[/ATTACH]

When I set up my sewing room, I bought this little table for my sewing machine to drop into. The hole wasn't big enough so DH came to the rescue and made it work. I love the little Ikea caddy-- I saw that some others of you have one too! I'd had my eye on it for a while so when I was getting set up I went ahead and grabbed it. It was the perfect color for my space! I'll post some photos of how I organized it at the end.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490602[/ATTACH]

Here's my quilting rack. I'm working on a Halloween quilt and trying some new techniques. It has a layer of cotton batting and a layer of poly batting. I made the bunting across the top of the window as my first project when I moved into the room. The walls are painted a soft blue/gray, which was my son's choice just a few months before I got to move in. (We didn't anticipate that our oldest was going to be able to get out on his own any time soon). I find the color very soothing and it seems to allow fabrics to show their true color without affecting them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490604[/ATTACH]

This little desk has some WIP's on it at the moment. I store my rulers, sketch pad and some other little things in the drawer. Originally my DH thought he was going to be able to put his computer there. He came in one day as I was working toward setting up and said, "I bet you'd really like to have this room to yourself." I told him I wasn't going to say anything, but yes, that would be wonderful... And the sweet man decided to forego us sharing the room.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490607[/ATTACH]

I use this shelf to store some of my things. The rest are kept in the studio where my youngest's room is now. This is good because I get out there frequently to dig through my stash or look for a ruler or tool, and I can surreptitiously check in with him. At some point in the near future I plan to store more of my stash here. I have some comic book boards ready to go, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490610[/ATTACH]

And here are some photos of how I've organized the Ikea caddy. I had some of these clear acrylic boxes from Target, and picked up a few more. The top shelf has the items I use most frequently-- my bobbins, machine oil, little snips, magnetic pin cushion (might be my favorite tool) and other odds & ends. That's the last photo the thread will let me post, so I'll post the other two in a second post... Middle shelf has a bucket of scissors and rotary cutters (unfortunately throughout the years I had things packed away and unavailable to me, and I purchased several rotary cutters when I needed them for projects! OUCH!! That could have been more fabric!!! Didn't even know I was doing it. This is one of the reasons I'm so incredibly happy to have my space.) Next to that is a box of feet and other attachments for my machines. The little blue pouch was given to me many years ago by a good friend for my birthday, and it holds my marking tools. I think of her all the time when I get into it. The bottom shelf holds my needles in a closing box (I have little inspectors all around who like to get into my things, so I needed to keep them secure), and a box each for feet and other tools for the two machines I use most often.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490611[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-room.jpg   sewing-table.jpg   frame.jpg   desk.jpg   desk.jpg  

desk.jpg   shelf.jpg   shelf.jpg   shelf.jpg   dscn0263.jpg  

Old 09-06-2014, 07:12 PM

I have no idea why the photos posted twice above. Sorry about that. Here are the other two photos of the caddy. (See? Too many rotary cutters!!!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490612[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490613[/ATTACH]

So there's my space! :-)
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Pretty spot for creating!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Your space is absolutely wonderful. Congrats and enjoy. Well worth the wait!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 PM

Impresive! Love the neat space and bright room. Enjoy!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:13 AM

wow totally cool.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:56 AM

very nice area
Old 09-07-2014, 05:32 AM

Is,nt it nice to have a room all your own for making quilts!! When your done for the day, you can walk out and leave everything as is. No need to pack it all away till the next time. " Your " space is wonderful!!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Nice room....come organize me! :-)
Old 09-07-2014, 06:04 AM

Congratulations on your new work space. It looks like there will be much fun had in there. Thanks for sharing!