Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Here With A Question >

New Here With A Question

New Here With A Question

Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Default New Here With A Question

Hi everyone. I'm new here but not new to quilting. I've been machine piecing a tumbler quilt (simple straight lines) as a gift for my mom. My machine started getting sluggish and skipping stitches so took it into the shop to be serviced. They said it would be about 3 weeks. In the meantime is killing me not to be working on it and i had the idea yesterday that maybe i could continue working on it with my serger. I'm afraid that the seams will look different from the section that I've already completed though. I think I know the answer but wanted some other opinions on whether it would be ok to do some piecing on the surger.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:08 AM

I don't have a serger, so can answer that, but you could cut your binding, borders and get them ready to go...prepare the backing if you know the finished size. Go shopping for more fabric!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM

I would only use a serger for piecing if your machine is a 4/5 thread and you can use the option to have a straight seam as well as the overlock stitch. My experience has been that without that straight seam, the stitching loosens under the stress of the quilting etc.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the advice. It is a 4 thread, 2 straight stitch plus the overlock. I'm worried that the seam will be bulkier. Maybe I'll try a couple of squares and just see how it looks. I can also use it in 3 thread mode with 1 straight stitch plus the overlock. I love hearing more from those with experience doing it so keep them coming. Thanks! Treasureit thanks for the ideas. I don't have the binding or backing fabric yet so shopping is a great idea. My kids are home from school today (election day) and taking them to a fabric shop has proved to be stressful in the past but i think i will go shopping soon.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Leave off the overlock threads?

No extra bulk.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 AM

Sorry I don't have a serger so I can't help you but I wanted to say welcome to the board. I know there will be some help for you here.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 AM

I would wait for your machine to come back, either use the serger for the whole quilt or not. It will not lay the way you will like for it to lay. Welcome to the board from the foothills of the Colorado Rockies
Old 09-09-2014, 10:01 AM

I cannot get a 1/4 in seam with my newer serger. On my old serger I can. So you'll want to check that too. But, I know it is hard, but I'd wait for your machine to come home again.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Great advice, thanks to all. I put 2 tumbler pieces together and just by looking you can't tell the difference but when i run my finger across the seam i can feel a noticeable difference. I think i will have to be patient. I don't think my serger has the option to just do the straight stitches. I see that i can do 2, 3, or 4 thread according to the manual. 2 thread includes an overlock, it's for doing a rolled hem on fine fabrics. I tried 2 thread yesterday on a dainty cape for my niece's Halloween costume and i could not get it to work for the life of me. I followed the directions but i obviously was doing something wrong as the thread just came through not linked and not through the fabric. The 3 thread worked great though and did the job nicely. I found an old project (men's shirt) that i cut and never sewed so I'm starting work on that with the serger to feed my addiction.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Can you ask the repair shop for a "loaner" machine? Three weeks is a long time to be without a machine.