Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs baby lock >

Janome vs baby lock

Janome vs baby lock

Old 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM

Default Janome vs baby lock

Went to dealer today thinking I wanted a janome 7700. They were really pushing baby lock saying it was much better than janome.
I definitely want the accufeed. And would like to be able to write my name or names on quilts. Not sure if 7700 does that?
Also what is major difference between 7700 and 8200 or 8900.
So anyone have preferences between the two?
Thanks terry
Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 PM

My opinion after having seen the janome's and accufeed, and I much prefer my dual feed on my v-series over accufeed, but that is just me. I also think the piercing power is stronger, however they will probably cost you more than the janomes, but I could be wrong. The muvit foot can plow through anything and handle difficult fabrics like minky well. I would demo the crescendo or aria before you make your decision
Old 09-10-2014, 04:48 PM

I replied in the other forum so I won't repeat what I said there, but I will add this--the best machine is one that comes with the dealer you like dealing with and who will support you. If it is the same dealer, is it a dealer you trust? Both companies are good companies for sewing machines. Any machine can have a problem, any company can produce a lemon. If you like the dealer, make a list of features you want and see what has the most. Do a "must-have", "would like" and "wish" list--get all of your must haves, some of your would likes and see if your final choices have any wish list items.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mdaniels View Post
I replied in the other forum so I won't repeat what I said there, but I will add this--the best machine is one that comes with the dealer you like dealing with and who will support you. If it is the same dealer, is it a dealer you trust? Both companies are good companies for sewing machines. Any machine can have a problem, any company can produce a lemon. If you like the dealer, make a list of features you want and see what has the most. Do a "must-have", "would like" and "wish" list--get all of your must haves, some of your would likes and see if your final choices have any wish list items.
Excellent thoughts.

Cari
Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM

If you go with the Janome I would really check out the other models, not 7700. I did not care for that machine and traded for 8900. I found it to be hard to use and just never bonded with it. Like the 8900 much better, but wish a Baby Lock dealer had been available to try one.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM

Got rid of my Janomes and went to Pfaff. No piercing power and hated the 7700 Accufeed.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 PM

I have the Janome 8900 and love the machine. The wide harp area makes it much easier to quilt and just sew in general. The wide harp area was important to me and the only thing I looked at in machines. I have another machine with an average size harp area and so would just continue to use that rather than trade to another machine that was the same size.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Try several brands and dealers. Don't jump in quickly.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM

I am not sure I would want a dealer who is pushing me in one direction....tells me he is thinking how much more he can make from you instead of what you want and need.....when I bought my 6600, the sales lady and I talked about what I wanted, what she had and what kind of deals she would make....then I test drove a few....ended up with a great used machine....was never pushed towards any machine.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 AM

I bought the Janome 8900 last year, and I love it! The wide harp space is wonderful. I really like the Acufeed foot too. You can put it on or off. It has many feet that come with it too. Lighting is good, and mine came with a large clear table that attaches to the machine. It is perfect for piecing and quilting. I bought the ditch quilting foot, open toe foot, and 1/4" piecing foot to fit the Acufeed. They are awesome.