Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finger Pressing >

Finger Pressing

Finger Pressing

Old 09-17-2014, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Default Finger Pressing

I've never been too successful at finger pressing, are there any tips or tricks?
I am going to a workshop next week. We have been told that we can't bring irons. They will have some pressing stations set up, but not sure how many. I've only been to one other class with pressing stations and spent more time in line waiting for an iron than sewing, however, I might be just anticipating problems that won't occur in this coming session:-) Just want to be prepared!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I have fingernails which I find are helpful. They do have the little wooden or plastic notions that might help you do some finger pressing. I got mine at JAF made by Clover. EB use to use a wooden one. These have a small square at the end with a diagonal cut at the end that you use to press with. Have Fun !!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I have done this a few times when I am in a hurry. I push the fabric to one side, usually toward the dark. If you press your seams open, maybe you could put something heavy on top of them for a few minutes and see if it works.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 AM

Princess: What about some of those wooden pressers or just recently I saw someone using a caster roller? I'm with you a hundred percent, would be lost without an iron. Just can't get those flat seams any other way.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have fingernails which I find are helpful. They do have the little wooden or plastic notions that might help you do some finger pressing. I got mine at JAF made by Clover. EB use to use a wooden one. These have a small square at the end with a diagonal cut at the end that you use to press with. Have Fun !!
i just pieced a lot of blocks this way and it did work, but better when I shot a bit of steam on the ironing board and used the manual presser over that spot. Kept the seersucker bubbles from flattening and gave me a soft edge. I suspect the fingernail approach would be better.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

With all the technology available why isn't there a small battery rechargeable iron?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 AM

I find that if my fabric is well starched, it is easier to finger press....
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 AM

When I try to finger press, I feel like i'm distorting the fabric. I would be lost without my iron.
Sue
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I use a spoon but I hold it in my hot little hand and gives off a little heat. Also if you hold it against the sewing machine light bulb, it'll give off enough heat. A craft/popsicle stick works also.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 AM
DJ

Well, if there's a place to plug in your machine, could you plug in one of those little Clover mini irons. You could take a plug adapter that would allow you to plug two things into one outlet. Maybe take along a short extension cord, too. Also take a small pressing board that you could set beside your machine. Careful with those little irons, though, they get very hot and you can easily burn your fingers. Just an idea. I don't have much luck with finger pressing either.