Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another expensive lesson >

another expensive lesson

another expensive lesson

Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Default another expensive lesson

I bought the Tru Sharp blade sharpener and what a big mistake. Now back to buying blades so my questions is, does anyone buy blades from Harbor Freight? I see a 2 pack for $1.99, not sure of shipping but I could buy 10 packs at that price. All I found there was a 45m rotary blade for a specific carpet cutter but says most all other rotary cutter. Any info would be of help. I go through lots of blades cause my eyes are bad and I hit my templates quite frequently. Have so much to finish in such a short time before Christmas.
Thanks
Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 PM

I'd be interested in reports on their blades. Will be watching this thread.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 PM

go to the "Search Box" at the top right side of this page and type in "Harbor Freight Blades" and about 100 posts will pop up for you to read -= some good and some bad.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I have never believed that the Harbor Freight blades are as good as those made specifically for quilters. Some quilters like them, but others have complained about them being relatively dull and/or inconsistent in quality. For someone with poor vision, I'm not sure they are a good option because you may have to press harder to cut.

What I have done in the past is bought in bulk from eBay. There are some "generic" blades there that are very inexpensive, but the ones I have opted for are the name-brand Olfa blades.

Here is an example of the "generic" blades on eBay (10 blades for $8.45, free shipping):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-45MM-ROTA...item1c3ce898d0

Here is an example of the "lot" size I usually buy on eBay (15 blades for $30, free shipping):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-3-15-OLF...item51c3cbffc1

Edit: I just realized that at least the second example above is still in the bidding process. What I usually do is click on "buy it now" to compare prices. I used to be able to get large lots of Olfa brand blades for about $1.50 each, but now they are running about $3 each.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-23-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM

I was using harbor freight blades for a while but have switched back to name brand. The quality of the blades varied so much that it just became easier to know I had a good blade when it was put into the cutter. Better blades ~ less frustration won out over saving money.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Sorry to hear about the Tru Sharp. I have been looking at that sharpener for quite a while but didn't want to spend that much money. I was afraid it was too good to be true. As for Harbor Freight, I have never tried the blades, but again, I would be leary about something so cheap. I watch JoAnn's ads and when they have the Olfa blades at 50% off that's when I buy, and it that sale coincides with one of their coupons that gives you an addl. percentage off your entire order, which includes sale items, so much the better.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM

I have used the Harbor freight blades for years now, and have never had a problem. I think their blades are sharper.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:34 PM

I buy brand names at JoAnn's when they have discount coupons, sometimes 1/2 off plus free shipping with $30 purchase and for me that is not too much to buy.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Why not buy 1or2 and try them , ie small outlay. I purchased some cheap blades in UK and they would not fit my rotary cutters. Size was correct it was the hole in the centre which was too small. Luckily I had only purchased one pack of 5 but they did fit a friends cutter.
Good luck I know the feeling of those nicks. Is there a handy man near with a sharpener for knives who can sharpen or remove nicks. I collected a pack ie 10 and took them to my cousin who as he does wood turning understood my problem and removed my nicks for free. Normally wouldn't ask I was working mainly one handed which was causing the problem.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 AM

I don't understand the frustration with TruCut's sharpener. As soon as a blade starts missing spots when I'm cutting I put it in my sharpener for 30 seconds on a side and go back to cutting. My rotary cutter then acts like I have put in a new blade. Have you tried keeping your stones oiled with a drop of oil before sharpening? My blades last a long time with frequent sharpening.