Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another expensive lesson >

another expensive lesson

another expensive lesson

Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 View Post
I bought the Tru Sharp blade sharpener and what a big mistake. Now back to buying blades so my questions is, does anyone buy blades from Harbor Freight? I see a 2 pack for $1.99, not sure of shipping but I could buy 10 packs at that price. All I found there was a 45m rotary blade for a specific carpet cutter but says most all other rotary cutter. Any info would be of help. I go through lots of blades cause my eyes are bad and I hit my templates quite frequently. Have so much to finish in such a short time before Christmas.
Thanks
a lot of us here use the blades from Harbor Freight. Not always really sharp but a darned sight cheaper.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 PM

I didn't have great results with my Tru Sharpener either nor with Harbor Freight blades. I buy my Olfa blades from Walmart, five 45mm for around $18.00. I buy in bulk from Ebay sometimes also.

I agree that you should buy a pack from Harbor Freight and try them out for yourself to see if they will work for you.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:58 AM

I buy mine from Harbor Freight,sometimes good, sometimes bad ones but for the price...last ones I bought on the package it says "Ideal for cutting Carpet or Quilts" Thought that was funny.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 AM

They did not work in my rotary cutter very well. I would buy a pack and try them out, some say they work great for them. I would have loved them to work, they are very reasonable in price.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
They did not work in my rotary cutter very well. I would buy a pack and try them out, some say they work great for them. I would have loved them to work, they are very reasonable in price.
My feelings exactly! I purchased several packages twice from them and threw them all away. Couldn't get a one to work.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 AM

I tried them, and I think they are horrible, will never buy again. In this instance, you get what you pay for!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 AM

I think it is strictly a matter of just personal preference. I have been buying the Harbor Freight blades before they became so popular and they had a run on them, and have had no trouble with them. I would recommend that you purchase pkg., and try them, then you could decide what you want.My DH goes to HB every time we are in the town where they have a store, which is where we must go for our doctors. I have purchased several things there that I use for quilting. Two things that truly like are the 48" metal ruler that I use when cutting my binding strips or any other long piece of fabric, and the ruler suction cup holder-$7.00 vs. $15.00 or more and both of these work great. I really like their yellow and grey knit gloves that are rubberized in the finger and palm area, they are terrific for yard work, and are about $1.99 a pair different sizes also. I haven't tried them for quilting. The price is right on many of their things and they do carry many brand name items. As I said before, a matter of preference.

Last edited by Gerbie; 09-25-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:22 AM

I did not see anyone respond about Martelli rotary blades. When Martelli has a half-price sale on blades, I purchase the largest pack offered. Does anyone else buy blades from Martelli? I have seriously thought about purchasing the Tru Sharp blade sharpener, but after reading the reviews here, I'm skeptical as to whether it is worth it.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:54 AM

I bought blades one time from Harbor Freight. A great disappointment they were all very dull. I was told I should take them back but I live over 60 miles from the nearest store so not very practical. I would stick to good blades and learn not to nick them. A good blade will last through more than one quilt.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:06 AM

I do not like Harbor Freight's blades. They just did not cut good for me at all.