Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping track of magazine patterns >

Keeping track of magazine patterns

Keeping track of magazine patterns

Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 AM

Default Keeping track of magazine patterns

I have hundreds of magazines...I have seen great patterns in them...even sticky mark some I want to make...so I have tons of magazines with sticky notes and yet when I need a pattern I have no way of finding it easily....I don't want to cut them up...yet they do me no good on my shelf because I have just too many...any solutions....I wish every magazine had a sheet you could tear out and put into a file for record keeping...
Old 09-25-2014, 04:47 AM

How about making your own sheet and attaching near the place where magazines are stored or displayed. As you store a magazine, write the issue, page, and title of the quilt.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

You came up with a solution while you were typing... Create a file. I have a folder on my computer, with a file for each of the magazines I get, when there is a pattern I really like/want to make I add it to the file, name of pattern, details about it and a magazine date, issue. Since my magazines are on book shelves organized by magazine and by their date when I want to find a specific pattern I can pull up the folder then scroll through the pattern name, description till I find the one then I can see what magazine it is in and easily grab it. Give it some thought then create the system that will work well for you.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:55 AM

I use a sticky note to mark the page -- and write on the top part that is visible from the outside of the magazine a one or two word description. For example, it might say "fall runner" or "batik stars". That helps me narrow it down at least to avoid having to pick up each mag to see what I marked.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
I use a sticky note to mark the page -- and write on the top part that is visible from the outside of the magazine a one or two word description. For example, it might say "fall runner" or "batik stars". That helps me narrow it down at least to avoid having to pick up each mag to see what I marked.
This is what I do, too. Although I don't think I've ever actually gone back and used any of them.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:02 AM

How about tearing out the patterns you want to do. Put them in sheet protectors and start a binder.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:25 AM

Since it is for your own use you can also take a copy of the picture and directions and place them in a binder. For me that would mean copying the whole magazine!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

What about the online subscriptions?? I have thought of printing the table of contents of each magazine.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 AM
bj

I take pictures of what I like with my phone. Then print the picture, write the name of the quilt, the magazine and date. Then I file it in a binder. I've also been known to tear the directions out, put them in a plastic sleeve and put in the binder. Then throw the magazine into the recycling bin. I like hard copies. I have a file on my computer also. However my computer died, so I don't have access to those right now.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I go old school and take my magazine to Walmart and copy the pages. I punch holes in the pages and keep them in a binder and I like to flip through my binder when I am in a creative slump.