Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP >

brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP

brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP

Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM

I have had a lot of problems with my brother also and went to my search and found so many answers there. It seems Brother is more persnickery than my pfaff, so make sure you use #11 needle in your machine. That is what I just found out. They also have brother embroidery videos that help. Sometimes they just let you in oon something that works better. I also just learned, if your machine does this in setup...you need to let the machine know what kind of thread you are using. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Swap Hosts

I have the same problem with my PE-770 and actually purchased another one so I could do my work. I found the problem. The foot had a burr on it. New foot - working like new. Now I have two machines!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:32 PM

My Brother 780D was doing the same thing. I took it back twice before they found out what it was. There is a little thing that sticks out right before I pulled the thread through the tension disk. The thread was hanging on that tiny little thing. I now take a wooden shish kabob skewer and hold the thread to get past that and it works fine.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:22 PM

When all else fails use a Stretch #14 needle turn off machine, take a walk around the house, get a drink, turn machine on rethread, if embroidering check stabilizer.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 PM

All the obvious answers have already been given, that being said sometimes it can be the design itself. Are you trying to stitch the same time when the problem occurs? Digitizing is a skill. I had an embroidery store for years so I am experienced embroiderer. I rarely if ever let someone bring in their own design. If they insisted, I would only accept the job if I stitched it out and it stitched out ok for me regarless of what their sample looked like. Same goes with designs you buy. Dakota Collectibles was consistently a headache for me. I owned the whole collection and cringed when someone wanted to look at the book. Just becuase you paid good money for the design doesn't mean it will sew nicely or nicely on your machine. My suggestion if you are stitching the same design, switch designs and see how the machine works. It might just be the problem.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 PM

I wrote a very detailed answer and my computer hiccuped. Quick answer, did you try this on a different design. Digitizing is a real skill and regardless if you paid a lot of money for the design, some just don't stitch out well. Since all other obvious answers were given, try switching designs
Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 AM

I had that problem with shredding and breaking on my Designer I. I suspicioned (sp) that the thread was dried out. I placed wet paper towels on top of the spools of thread that were stored in a closed plastic container. I left them for a couple of days and Bingo. My problem was solved. I now keep a damp towl inside the container most of the time. I would keep them in the frig or freezer if I had the room. Did that some time ago when I was doing a great deal of machine applique. This might help you. Oh, I also use topstitch needles. Good luck. Marge L.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 PM

I actually traded Ina machine that frustrated me (and my dealer who sent it back to the factory, supposedly fixed). I think i, and they, tried all of these things. It was better after the factory check but I simply could not grist it because they could not tell me what they fixed. Lost quite a bit on the trade but am very glad I traded. I told myself it might have been the tension since I do not usually change tension very much for 40 wt poly and prewound bobbins. Since the trade a different dealer told me that shredding usually is on darker thread since it is often dyed-over multiple times. I did not recall if darker thread had been my problem...just glad not to have shredding very often since the trade over a year ago.
Good luck and thank everyone for the excellent comments. I wish I had asked the question when I was having the problem but wasn't using it for quilting.