Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which fabric on top? Which below? >

Which fabric on top? Which below?

Which fabric on top? Which below?

Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Default Which fabric on top? Which below?

Hello all... I never can remember this... I'm putting on a border and I measured the center width and cut the border. I need to ease in a little of the quilt. Do I put the (slightly longer) border on top or on bottom? Please help???
Thank you!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Normally, you sew with a 'baggy bottom' in other words, the longer piece is on the bottom and the feed dogs will handle the extra fabric. This works with short pieces of fabric and is difficult if the bottom piece has a seam. If you need to ease a top & a border, you need to pin along the entire length. The baggy bottom trick isn't going to work.
To ease, you find the center of both the border and the top & pin the ends, and the center. Next, find the center of the piece between the center pin & the end of both the top & border. Match this up and pin and do the same with the other side. Continue finding & pinning the centers until all the fullness is eased in.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Normally, you sew with a 'baggy bottom'
HEY! How did you know? And besides, if I want to sew in my PJ's, that's MY business!! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

PaperPrincess has a great technique - that's pretty much how I do it, except I use many many dots of Elmer's glue instead of pins. And the 'baggy bottom' part only works if you're not using a walking foot or some sort of dual-feed. (Seems obvious but I've tricked myself...)
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Normally when measuring borders, I NEVER cut them exactly but place a pin there and cut a little extra. Anytime you have a bias edge or a little bite of extra on your quilt, let the dog feed move it thru the sewing.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:44 AM

Thank you friends!! I followed your advice and the borders are great!! And I will never forget again!! BAGGY BOTTOMS!! HAHAHAHAHA!! Love you all!!! Happy Quilting!!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I've also learned to sew with the "strip/length" with the most seams on the bottom and the piece with the fewer seams on top.

I have also learned that if I have to ease a lot in - that I stretch the shorter piece to match the length of the longer piece - and that is easier to do if the shorter piece is on top. I also use at least a 2.5 (or slightly longer) stitch length when I have to do that. When the seam is "relaxed" - the longer stitches just sort of puff up a bit.

Was that clear as mud?

I do as PaperPrincess does - divide and conquer!!!