Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins >

Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins

Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I bought the thread boxes from Connecting threads. Each one holds 48 spools of thread, and they open on both sides. I put the bobbins with the matching thread color. These are not great big so easy to store, and there not expensive either!
I have three and really like them, keep my thread clean too.
I checked the connecting threads website and couldn't find anything like this. Do you have any other info on how to find it? Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 02:38 PM

papple00 .... here is a link to the Connecting Threads page.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...___D82068.html
Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Good Morning someone gave me 2 cases with the spindles in them for threads, you are more than welcome to both of them if you like? I have no use for them and you could fill them up and slide them under the bed? Or put them in the closet. They are like little plastic suitcases LOL I don't know how to describe them, but they are yours if you want them? Rachel
If they aren't already taken I will buy them, just private message me with your price. I need something to hold my antique wooden spools in until my new sewing room is done with the remodel. Thank you
Jeri
Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 PM

How about Cone thread containers? Anyone have ideas about them? I buy cones a lot so I have a good supply of neutral thread for piecing and for SID (can't do FMQ yet). The cones don't really fit on the wooden spindle holders. Speaking of which I was given a large piece of (ack..can't remember the name of the board with holes in it) board that had 2 of the spool thread holders attached to it, what a great idea, of course it is old so I'll have to disassemble, clean and get new (hole board) & attach the spool holders to...PEG BOARD..thats the name of the board with holes in it DUH me. So close to having my newly remodeled sewing room I can taste it, getting it painted at the end of this month then flooring put it & set everything up it's going to be awesome to be able to turn around in without bumping into or knocking something over in.
Jeri...excited beginner!!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 AM

Carol45, I have two large containers of leg screws and bolts. Now I know what to do with them, if my grandson's allow me to. This is one of their fav toys. I do use the plastic tubing and wrap around my bobbins. They stay so nice.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 AM

Harbor Freight has sectioned plastic boxes like the hot wheels boxes only much cheaper. Works very well for keeping threads oganized and ready to go. Matching bobbin would probably go into each section with its thread. I haven't done that, I keep my bobbins in a small 3-drawer box my mom used for "trinkets".
Old 10-21-2014, 05:41 AM

If you know any one who has a baby using the fist solid foods, the ones that come in rectangular plastic containers with lids, have them save a bunch for you. They hold the thread and several bobbins. They are durable and can last a long time. To store in a drawer, you could put the whole lot in some flat basket or other container.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I have seen those wonderful things with the little spindles, but I worry about dust. I like mine in plastic boxes. I've got five of these, and there is room for bobbins to stay with the thread of its color so that I do not get confused.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4403.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 AM

I bought some thread holders at Wal Mart and couldn't get any more so got some from connecting threads. I label and store by colors so when I want a particular color I look at boxes, grab the right one, have lots of thread in colors from sewing clothes etc. Have a box of button/craft and quilting thread. Keeps it clean and bobbin stays with spool and labeling makes what I am looking for as I have a very small 6-8 sq ft. to store everything and have to have it organized. Material in labeled bins is in same place. Doesn't make it easy to sew sometimes but do what we have to.
To make it easier I have two small clear sterilite 1.2 qt. containers (5 x 7)from WM to store colors I use a lot, makes it easier as we have puppies right now to reaching thread is harder. You have to find a way that works for you and keep working on it. Would just love having a sewing room but don't so make do.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How about Cone thread containers? Anyone have ideas about them? I buy cones a lot so I have a good supply of neutral thread for piecing and for SID (can't do FMQ yet). The cones don't really fit on the wooden spindle holders. Speaking of which I was given a large piece of (ack..can't remember the name of the board with holes in it) board that had 2 of the spool thread holders attached to it, what a great idea, of course it is old so I'll have to disassemble, clean and get new (hole board) & attach the spool holders to...PEG BOARD..thats the name of the board with holes in it DUH me. So close to having my newly remodeled sewing room I can taste it, getting it painted at the end of this month then flooring put it & set everything up it's going to be awesome to be able to turn around in without bumping into or knocking something over in.
Jeri...excited beginner!!
Get one or two of the plastic shoe boxes at Wal Mart and cones store great in there. Have serger thread in several.
Connecting thread http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...___D82068.html