Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The disappearing polyester batting >

The disappearing polyester batting

The disappearing polyester batting

Old 11-03-2014, 04:34 AM

That batting looked like the old poly that was available in bags. It looked like the stuffing for toys but was in a sheet roll. That's what I've used in old wallhangings. Unlike the newer batting, this looked like it had individual strands. Think it's still around.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 AM

I am constantly amazed at the experience & knowledge level on this board. This is such good information for every quilter. I have only been quilting a few years and was instructed to read the batting packages for how close to quilt so have never had this happen to one of my quilts. I always wondered how tying would hold up on a quilt that was washed often.

I have had this bunching & knotting up happen in some store bought, cheap quilts. Now I understand the why.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
My experience with quilt shop fabric is that some of it is twice as expensive and half as good as fabric sold by JoAnn, Hobby Lobby or even Wal Mart. Wherever you buy fabric, you've got to be knowledgeable enough to read and understand the end of the bolt and to know by the feel (called "hand") whether what you are getting is good enough quality to spend your money on. I am becoming more and more cautious about buying even well-known brands of fabric. I never pre-wash anything and now that color catchers are available, never worry too much about colors running. My mother always prewashed everything because in the old days, fabric sometimes shrank 10 percent. froggyintexas
Amen, to what Froggy said! If folks want to pay $12+ a yard and feel they're getting better quality, more power to them! However, you can find some of that EXACT same fabric for less $, if you try. Thousands of Bolts has many of the same fabrics, for roughly $5 a yard. Yes, the EXACT ones. TOB carries great and not-so-great fabric, so it helps to stick with the brands you know.
Most of my fabric comes from either TOB or Hobby Lobby. Our two local WalMarts used to carry nice fabric (at great prices) but they seem to have changed their marketing policy, in the fabric section. Now there seems to be more lower-quality stuff and when I do find something nice (at WM), it's more expensive than at Hobby Lobby. :-(
Old 11-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
That batting looked like the old poly that was available in bags. It looked like the stuffing for toys but was in a sheet roll. That's what I've used in old wallhangings. Unlike the newer batting, this looked like it had individual strands. Think it's still around.
Thank you Weezy Rider. This put my mind at ease. I am using Dream Green polyester batting which I love. I tugged on it today to see how sturdy it is, and it didn't budge. It is a new poly batting made from ground up green soda pop bottles. I love it. No quilts I have made have been washed yet though, as I am a new quilter. (Yes, I quilt my own.)

In my dear granny's day, she didn't have batting. She used old blankets. I suppose most ladies used old blankets back in the 50's. (This doesn't have any thing to do with the subject, but thought I would toss it out there.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
My experience with quilt shop fabric is that some of it is twice as expensive and half as good as fabric sold by JoAnn, Hobby Lobby or even Wal Mart. Wherever you buy fabric, you've got to be knowledgeable enough to read and understand the end of the bolt and to know by the feel (called "hand") whether what you are getting is good enough quality to spend your money on. I am becoming more and more cautious about buying even well-known brands of fabric. I never pre-wash anything and now that color catchers are available, never worry too much about colors running. My mother always prewashed everything because in the old days, fabric sometimes shrank 10 percent. froggyintexas
Thank you FroggyinTexas! I am new to quilting but I still remember things my Granny taught me many moons ago.
Whenever we went shopping for dresses, or fabric, she would wad up a fist full and hold for about 10 seconds. When she let go if it was full of wrinkles she wouldn't buy. If it sprang back nicely, that was what she was looking for.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 PM

You and I agree, the batting needed to be secured more closely than the tie distance.

Of course that doesn't mean the quilt wasn't loved to death! in fact, I'd rather see the quilt like this than in pristine condition because it was stowed away in a closet.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 PM

I prewash fabric due to allergies - mine! When a quilt is completed, I wash it in cold water, and a free and clear detergent, color catchers. Then it goes into the dryer on the hot setting. I don't use fabric softener or fabric softener sheets because of my allergies.

So far, all have survived the wash in good shape. I generally quilt moderately densely, so there is never an unquilted space larger than 4 ".