Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Quest or Janome 7700 or 8900 >

Babylock Quest or Janome 7700 or 8900

Babylock Quest or Janome 7700 or 8900

Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 AM

Default Babylock Quest or Janome 7700 or 8900

I started quilting in earnest again in August 2013. Bought little $300 Janome DC1050 to see if the hobby would "stick". Clearly, 12 little quilts later (one large throw, one large baby quilt, and 10 doll quilts later). I am certain it's an obsession. I want to be able to make larger quilts. (I sent the big throw to my friend who has a slightly larger Janome to quilt it.)

Now I really want a machine that has a large throat space, auto thread cutter, is easy to use, quiet, and of course, fits my budget.

My options range from paying $500 outright for a BL Quest on CL (six years old), a used Janome 7700 for $1200, or I could save up for the Janome 8900 (offered new by my dealer at $2599). I know that's a huge price range, but I am really weighing the options of waiting a long time for my dream machine or enjoying the process of making bigger quilts now with what I can afford. We don't believe in going into debt.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I was like you a few years ago, and was enjoying sewing/quilting, and knew I needed something better. At the time, I made the leap to the J6600, feeling maybe I went too far. Soon, I realized the 7700 would have been a better option, but did not consider trading as it didn't give me that much more! I loved that 6600 and still do, even though I have since traded upwards again.

If I were in your shoes, I definitely would not buy a 6600 or 7700, and would head straight to the 8200 or 8900. Basically, they are the next generations of those previous two, with some features that definitely make them much more desirable than the 6600/7700. Sure, you would be very happy with them, but you will be even happier with the 8200/8900. Check out the features and see which is best for your future!

I don't know the Babylock line, thus why no comments about it.

As with all machines ... the best thing to do is to go to your dealer and give them a true trial run, to know what you think. Also, consider the long term relationship with the dealer, as to their customer service and follow thru when you need help, whether it be how to's or service and repairs.

Here's a thread from earlier this week, where you might glean some helpful info .......
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...a-t256299.html

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-07-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM

I just bought the 8900, great machine. Does everything I want plus a lot more. My dealer offered it at same price with an 18 month payment plan, no interest if paid off in that amount of time. Excellent service, and great guarantee. I made 3 trips to the dealers and spent 2-3 hours each trip just sewing, changing needle plate tread, stiches, took some of my own samples to try things on, bought samples home and compared with what my older Janome can do. My older Janome is over 20 yeas of age and Cost about $500 new. Kept her for classes, travel and teaching Grands. Good luck shopping, and enjoy your new machine
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM

I would look at the features, I know janomes I think don't have the pivoting feature, but they have a wider harp than the babylock. I would also consider the babylock aria as it has a wide harp and more features than the quest and is probably in the close to the 8900 price range. I have the combo version of the crescendo on the brother side and know one person that has the brother version of the aria and the 8900 and much prefers the brother. The crescendo has the laser and pen which is the only difference from the aria, and I truly adore my machine for its dual feed, and the laser among other things. I think the quest has a 9 inch harp but the others have an 11 inch including the aria I believe. Me personally with this being a hobby you love would save up for the nicer machine as you would probably enjoy it more, however 500 is a good deal on a quest, as those are very nice machines. I would try it out because I know IDT on the pfaffs(which the quest is) is very different from accufeed on a janome and you might prefer one over the other.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:01 PM

I have the Quest and I love it. You will love the IDT because it's always there and unobtrusive; no separate attachment. My very first quilt did not have any tucks or pleats. Has a large harp (8 or 9" I think). I bought it about 5 years ago and it has been trouble free. In addition, because it came with over 20 feet that work with the IDT and a large table, there has been no extra expense. I would buy another Baby Lock Quest , but BL no longer have the built in walking foot, just Pfaff as far as I know. Mary Ellen
Old 11-07-2014, 06:08 PM

Trying again to post. I love the BL Quest and would buy it again. Would not buy another machine without the IDT. In addition, mine came with over 20 feet that work with the walking foot and a large table so there was no extra expense. The very first quilt I made did not have any pleats or tucks. Highly recommend this machine. I have not sewed on the Janomes mentioned. Also, makes perfect buttonholes. Mary Ellen
Old 11-08-2014, 05:12 AM

I have the Janome 8900. It has everything a quilter needs and more. I absolutely love the Acufeed foot for piecing and quilting. It manages the fabric perfectly. I also love the large throat--11"!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 AM

I would go for the 8900