Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible grid for piecing little squares? >

fusible grid for piecing little squares?

fusible grid for piecing little squares?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Question fusible grid for piecing little squares?

So I was just Googling around and have found some tips/tutorials for piecing tiny squares using fusible interfacing.

like so:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2009/10/el...-tiny-squares/

and I picked up a kit on the way to work to try this out for a coaster:
http://hummingbird-highway.com/mini-scrap-grid-how-to/

Have you guys tried these methods? Have you tried it with HSTs?

Last night I tried sewing some 1/2" HST blocks (1" square unfinished) I made with Thangles and ended up just tossing it all in the trash. Not for me! But now that I have found this, I am considering pulling out the squares I didn't already mess up by sewing and trimming out of the can. Hancock's sells the 1" grid fusible, I could go home the long way and pick some up if they have it in stock...

oh... afterthought.... if you have done this with the polyester fusible as a foundation.... did you wash your cottons first? if not, how did they hold up after laundering? I want to make some mug rugs out of these as gifts, wouldn't want to have them go wonky after the first washing.

Last edited by romille; 11-21-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

The 2 inch grid fusible came out a few years back. It does work up quickly for squares but the seams are a bit bulky but are fine for machine stitching though. I would just as soon do regular piecing though.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 AM

I have used the 2" grid in the past and liked it well enough, but never purchased any more. I did see a quilt at a show that had used it but unfortunately when the sewing of the seams was done, they hadn't caught in all the raw edges of the squares on the front. I think you need to be very careful to cut your squares a thread larger than the measurement of the grid, just to be extra sure.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:43 PM

I bought a "Mondo Bag" pattern that used gridded fusible to serve as the pattern. I bought some of those mini-charms that are 2-1/2" square and those were perfect for the project.

It was bulky and in the end I think I'd have rather just had a regular pattern and done the patchwork on my own - I could have strip-pieced it much faster. Plus now that I've made it, the pattern is gone, the only pattern was the fusible itself. But in the end I have a nice big bag that is put together nice and solid and it looks pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. No exposed raw edges on mine, at least!

I think the key to having it come out right is to clip aggressively on the first set of seams. Since you'll be seaming it the other way, it's OK to cut through the first seams stitches. (Assuming you stitch the same way this pattern dictated - all horizontal seams first, clip, then do all vertical seams). If you don't clip far enough, it gets really bunched up.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 PM

I've used the grid from hummingbird highway - Joan Ford's site. Have taken classes with her. It works great
Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 PM

I used it once on a millennium (2,000) piece quilt. I hated it! I found the seams extremely bulky and hard to quilt through. (It was the 1" fusible grid which finished to 1/2" squares). I found it difficult to get accurate 1/4 inch seams. This is the grid that you fuse the fabrics to the grid, fold on the line (right sides together) and sew your seam. The intersections between horizontal and vertical seams were nasty to quilt through and I had difficulty making the intersections lay flat. i won't be using the fusible grid (any size) again.

This is just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM

If you're making mug rugs or wall hangings, I think you'll be okay. I did one and agree with the others - my project ended up quite bulky. I wouldn't use this technique for a bed quilt.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 PM

Good to know. I also have the mondo bag pattern that uses this grid, but I havent done it yet.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 AM

I have tried it twice now and not sure that I will ever do another one. Was okay but nothing to write home about.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 AM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

I am just doing a quilt which uses this method. This is going to be a large lap quilt but it will only have about 1/2 of it done this way.I was unable to source the fusible grid locally so just used a pencil and drew my own grid on some lightweight fusible. My squares are 11/2 inch and will finish at 1inch once completed.
I have not yet finished but so far so good. I have so far sewed all the horizontal seams and pressed the seams open. I was worried that when sewing the vertical seams that the horizontal seams would get caught in the feed dogs and therefore create more bulk that I starched the seams and then pressed again and i had no issues.
I only had 2 squares where the seams when sewing the initial horizontal seams did not get sewn in so I just picked out those stitches and resewed.
I have one more seam to sew and then do the final clipping of the seams and press open. I think I will again starch those seams as well.
I have not found the seams bulky to sew so far. The only hints i would give is to use a 1/4 inch foot and not sew too fast. Also when clipping i would not cut the seams less than 1/4 inch as i cut them too thin on some spots and then i found that it was harder to press them open. Yours might be a bit tricky seeing as you are doing smaller squares.
I found the most tedious and time consuming part was pressing the seams open but once that was done it was certainly rewarding to see the results.
I did wash most of my fabrics but I was naughty and did not wash them all as I was short a few colours and once i bought them i was eager to start! So hopefully it will go ok when washed, fingers crossed for that.
I used the tutorial on Super Mario Bros quilt along dated July 12, 2012. Here is the link http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/ - sorry just realised I don't know how to do a link. I am doing the Mario block and as i only used fusible that had the glue on one side I was able to iron from the back and will be able to leave it in and not wash it out like she did. If you google pixel quilts you should find more information. Good luck with yours and let us know how you go.