Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible grid for piecing little squares? >

fusible grid for piecing little squares?

fusible grid for piecing little squares?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 AM

I just took a class making the Mondo bag and using the fusible interfacing. If you do not iron it on correctly you have problems putting it together.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 AM

I have used this method for years on quilt patterns that have lots of small squares - like Double Irish Chain for instance - made one once with over 2700 squares - ever since the "watercolor quilt" craze. I don't buy the kind with the grid - it's too expensive for my purse. I buy the Pellon very lightweight fusible - and lay it on my fold up cardboard mat with the 1" grid. I iron right on that as well - with my hand held mini iron - just enough to tack down the squares before taking it to my ironing board. I find it to be a great time saver - and it really helps with corner and point accuracy. (did another with more than 400 HSTs)
Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM

I used a fusible grid years ago on a fall quilt and regret it. The top is stiff. Never again.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

I have used this 2" grid in the past and will use it again. These are two wall pieces I made. One for the house and one for my church. I am currently doing a memory piece for the family of a lady that passed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499959[/ATTACH]

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails img_0198.jpg   cross-wall-hanging.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I used it once on a millennium (2,000) piece quilt. I hated it! I found the seams extremely bulky and hard to quilt through. (It was the 1" fusible grid which finished to 1/2" squares). I found it difficult to get accurate 1/4 inch seams. This is the grid that you fuse the fabrics to the grid, fold on the line (right sides together) and sew your seam. The intersections between horizontal and vertical seams were nasty to quilt through and I had difficulty making the intersections lay flat. i won't be using the fusible grid (any size) again.

This is just my opinion.
A piggyback comment from a longarm quilter~~~quilting a top that has been pieced with this stuff is kind of like trying to quilt two cast iron skillets together. Often I have to hand walk my quilting machine through the seam intersections, and sometimes just have to live with skipped stitches. It might make good dusting cloths.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:04 AM

I was given some as a gift about 15 years ago and have never used it as I find it easy to do without it. However, I do think it would be ideal if you wanted to fussy cut all of your squares so that the result is not so random.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 AM

I heard of it and then decided to try the technique, but being who I am (cheap) I made my own.
I used the techique in the background of my Nov wall hanging. I just wanted it to be a background and it worked extremely well for the look I wanted (recedes to the backgound, seams line up, corners match)
You can't tell from the photo but I machine qulted the whole thing with my domestic machine and had no problems.

Would I try it again? Probably for a wall hanging, it seemed a little heavy for a quilt, but that could be the interfacing I used. I REALLY liked using it for this project

(the wallhanging is square, the photo is not)
Attached Thumbnails november.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I used it once on a millennium (2,000) piece quilt. I hated it! I found the seams extremely bulky and hard to quilt through. (It was the 1" fusible grid which finished to 1/2" squares). I found it difficult to get accurate 1/4 inch seams. This is the grid that you fuse the fabrics to the grid, fold on the line (right sides together) and sew your seam. The intersections between horizontal and vertical seams were nasty to quilt through and I had difficulty making the intersections lay flat. i won't be using the fusible grid (any size) again.

This is just my opinion.
I will add my two cents worth and say that I agree. While new products are great for us there are some that just don't work well.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 AM

I did a queen size quilt with this technique. 2" finished squares. The quilt (you can see it at http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t254668.html) also had a lot of HSTs and since you mentioned this--it did NOT work well with HSTs. I think HSTs are much less forgiving of slight variations from the 1/4". As a result I couched yarn around the stars to cover up the fact that the points didn't match well where HSTs were involved. I used the technique on another project with squares only, and it worked great. I also made my own grid on featherweight fusible interfacing, which worked fine--I didn't even mark the squares, I just laid out all of them in a uniform grid on the interfacing, and fused them.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by alberta quilter View Post
Good to know. I also have the mondo bag pattern that uses this grid, but I havent done it yet.
I find it bulky too. It works fine on the mondo bag and gives it more stability. Cutting the squares larger does not work well since this causes even bulkier seams. They need to be placed and fused carefully and stitched with a 1/4" seam allowance. Hint: use regular gridded interfacing for your bag and save the special grid for a pattern. It has arrows for pressing the seams.