Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible grid for piecing little squares? >

fusible grid for piecing little squares?

fusible grid for piecing little squares?

Old 11-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Its great for purses, not sure about quilts. If I ever get the stuff I need for the 8 bit video game quilt I wanna make, then I will definetly use it.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:07 PM

I have two patterns I got at a quilt show that uses the grids, I was a bit nervous about doing I am glad you showed this, it helps so much!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:53 PM

I am working on a Santa table runner and using the pellon fusible grid - I used it once before for a wall hanging/baby quilt and was not excited to use it again, mostly because the grid is yellow and very difficult to see.

This time I am using 2" squares, but the instructions recommend cutting them 1/8" smaller so the grid will fold easier.
Also I decided to cut the fusible into 2" strips and fused a row at a time, pinned the rows, matching the gaps created by the 1/8" less and I think I am going to like this method better.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 PM

I was thinking I could take the stiffness out of the quilt if I used water soluble interfacing and marked the grid myself, then washed the interfacing out after the quilt was done. Haven't tried it yet, though.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 AM

I, too, used the 2" grid for a millenium quilt and got along well with it. No way I would have ever had any luck without this fusible backing as I used 2000 different 2" squares of fabric . I folded the backing with the ironed on fabrics along the vertical lines, stitched all these. Then did the horizontal rows with a clip at each intersection allowing the seam allowances to lay flat, alternating left or right. I quilted it using a diagonal line from corner to corner in one direction.This worked out well for me.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good input. I did try the hummingbird highway mug mat kit out, and found it a bit tedious to do the initial placement of the fabric on the fusible. It worked great though, and I learned about furling seams to make the tiny blocks lay flat. While I think it worked great for the mug mat, I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to do it again. I also bought some of the gridded fusible to try out, but have yet to get around to it because I have been busy with other projects. Regardless, after doing the mug mat I think it might be a bit too tedious to do any large projects with it... especially after hearing the reports of how bulky and stiff things turn out.