Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about flannel >

Question about flannel

Question about flannel

Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Question about flannel

I am working on a flannel quilt, and wondering what would happen if I don't use flannel for the backing too. I have heard that flannel shrinks more than regular fabric, and I did not pre-wash mine. I am asking because I have enough "regular" fabric for the back, but no flannel.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

How much quilting will be done? Quilting stabilizes the layers, so there will likely be no problem at all if the quilting is closely done. The further apart the quilting lines are, the more likely you are to have an issue with differing shrinkage rate. Also, what batting are you using? Some battings are more stable than others and will also act to minimize the problem. Quilter's dream cotton, for example, would be better than Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton because the QD is needle-punched.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Any time I use flannel in a quilt, I wash and dry the fabric twice. I love flannel as a backing, but to date haven't used it for piecing a quilt top. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say on this subject!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 PM

I have done normal cotton tops with flannel backing so same concept. I prewashed all of mt fabric though. Only washed the flannel one time as it was very high quality and very densely woven. Had no issues at all.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM

I often use flannel backing for my quilts because it is so "cozy". Used with regular pieced cotton and t-shirt quilts without any problems, but I do always wash flannel before I use it, so that doesn't really help you. does it? I think Prism99 has good advice for your situation.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:28 PM

I, too, have used it for backing on regular cotton. I sometimes prewash if it is red or very dark, but otherwise, I don't. It worked fine for me that way.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM

I love flannel. Love it! I don't think you'll have any problem mixing the two, especially if you used good quality flannel and washed it first.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Banned

The point is she said she didn't pre wash it. I'd be nervous no matter how dense the quilting is because all flannel, even good quality stuff, will shrink. It really should have been washed first.

Cari
Old 11-21-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The point is she said she didn't pre wash it. I'd be nervous no matter how dense the quilting is because all flannel, even good quality stuff, will shrink. It really should have been washed first.

Cari
Sooooory!

Good quality flannel might shrink less. The quilting should help hold things together.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I have done this before, made a flannel quilt without prewashing the flannel first ( I was given the flannel and thought it had been prewashed, found out after I had pieced together the top that it had not been done) I used warm & natural batting and a regular cotton wide backing. Did what I would consider a normal a!mount of quilting, not too dense, just an all over meandering. Everything came out fine. Soft, cozy, nice quilt, no ill effects. I did wash it in cool water & used a medium heat setting in the dryer. I suggest you carry on-- wash it gently ( when its all quilted & bound -- it will probably be just fine. I have a few pictures here on the board of quilts that contain regular and flannel cottons, mixed together in the pieced top, with washed and unwashed fabrics -- they are beautiful quilts -- the pictures are after the first wash/dry...Which I always do when the quilt is finished