Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Video Using vintage machines to Custom Make Jeans >

Video Using vintage machines to Custom Make Jeans

Video Using vintage machines to Custom Make Jeans

Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Default Video Using vintage machines to Custom Make Jeans

How many of the machines can you identify? This man individually makes the latest craze in the jean world -- raw denim or "selvage jeans". $240 a pair may seem like an excessive amount or a pair of jeans but these things last a loooong time and can end up being passed a generation. No kidding. When I was in college one of roommates found a pair of eighty year old jeans in a barn. They were well used but 'cool' to us gals. We use to take turns wearing them and I will never forget how soft but thick the jeans were. They were soooo comfortable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36BxKsUs3Ew
Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

Now THAT was too Cool!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:37 PM

Wow that was so cool! Almost makes me want to spend $250 on a pair of jeans, almost.

ETA: What is that singer in the end that is used to embroider? How does that work, is he guiding the fabric to write the letters or are there some kind of letter discs that make the machine form the letters?

Last edited by Sarabela; 12-08-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
Wow that was so cool! Almost makes me want to spend $250 on a pair of jeans, almost.

ETA: What is that singer in the end that is used to embroider? How does that work, is he guiding the fabric to write the letters or are there some kind of letter discs that make the machine form the letters?
That machine has been discussed here before, but I can't recall what model it is. There is a shaft that goes through the table, with a handle on it, under the table, that you turn back and forth to turn the needle bar.

I don't know if I would be coordinated enough to use it properly.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post

Makes me want to go out and spend $250 on some industrial machines and learn to do what he's doing! I especially like the keyhole buttonholer.

Watching an expert like this is pretty inspiring.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM

He's awesome! Great craftsmanship at work.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 PM

He makes it look so easy! He sews like he has had many hours of practice.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 AM

Check out this guy. He's about 2 miles from where I live and charges about $50 a pair.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 AM

My husband used to wear his Levi's until they were almost all white...truly...they had slits where they were separating and that was before it was fashionable for skin to show...He had holes in front and back and he didn't mind...he loved them. Now, I realize it was because they were so soft.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Check out this guy. He's about 2 miles from where I live and charges about $50 a pair.
These are cool, although not selvage jeans. His biggest feature is getting the correct length, or alterations included in the purchase price. With selvage jeans most leave out the perfect length and roll up; sort of a feature of raw denim. I would pay $250 for the lined pockets that are ergonomically designed to lay nicer and hold things better. I think the fit is so manly. REad more about selvage jeans and raw denim http://raysrawdenim.com/blogs/news/1...dge-what-is-it