Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me about the machines >

Tell me about the machines

Tell me about the machines

Old 12-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Tell me about the machines

Hello, just finished reading the post by Ariannaquilts, which got me wondering. Im not interested in the cost or justification of why you bought your machine. I would like to know about the different machines and what they can do. How many stitches are there out there that any one machine can do? Or features do they offer. If you have not guessed yet I don't know much about them I have used a basic and now a slightly more advance kenmore So anyone out there wanna give me an education open my eyes so to speak to the wonderful world of sewing machines. Help me learn the different kinds brand and what ever else a person really should know thanks Oh I noticed that some people use vintage machines, Does a vintage machine work better then say an off the shelf new model say like mine?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Your question is so broad, I don't know where to start. There are lots of past threads on this Board about machines and the specifics on them, and think you should start your research there to at least begin to narrow down what your needs are and what you want from a machine. When I was in your position a few years ago, someone on this board gave me the good advice to go out and start 'test driving' some machines at shops and at quilt shows where lots of vendors have machines set up to try out. After that, you will have educated yourself enough to narrow the field down, and get more specific information from the experienced folks on this board. It is a daunting task, I understand the feeling of not knowing were to start. But you just have to jump in and start doing the groundwork to educate yourself, and you will get there!!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM

Google the different manufacturers and see the models they offer with the different options. Or visit your local dealer to see what's available.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

You might say I am happily married to my Bernina 1530 for almost 25 years now. I don't need anything fancy, just a good reliable workhorse !!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 PM

When I was looking for a new machine....my old one is a 1969 Singer Golden Touch and Sew....I went to the main manufacturers websites and looked at what the different models did, the variety of stitches, the feet that came with them and the warranty. Then I went out and saw them in person. In 2005 I bought a Brother Innovis 4000D. It was the first embroidery machine that cut the jump stitches and that was important to me. It was their top of the line for that year. I really liked the Bernina's too, but they cost twice as much at that time and were out of my budget. Have fun shopping!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM

It's not just about the number of stitches, there are lots of other features that each of us *require* and *like* about different machines.

Features such as ....

Throat (harp) space
Stitch Regulator (for FMQ)
Integrated Walking Foot
Ability to stop needle up or down
Ability to drop feed dogs
Empty Bobbin Sensors
Thread cutters
Integrated embroidery unit (along with various options on the max size of the embroidery)
Ability to scale stitches (and embroidery)
Ability to change the position of the needle
Automatic threaders
Automatic tensioners
Start/Stop button (as opposed to using a foot pedal)
Knee Lifts

And on and on.

And there are also considerations of "quality". Is the brand and model from a reputable manufacturer with great reviews? Are the parts (especially the gears!) made from metal or plastic?

Pick just one manufacturer ... Janome, Bernina, Pfaff to name a few, and go to their website and look at all the machines starting with the low end model and work your way through to the top model and note the differences in features. You should also make note of the weight of the machine as that *can* be a clue as to the quality of the manufacture (i.e. if all the parts are plastic the machine will weight a lot less than a machine constructed out of metal).
Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Buying a machine is akin to buying a car. Research, shop, test drive, negotiate the deal. You do most of it with your head but ultimately you buy with your heart - the one that feels right for you. Other people's comments and experiences can be helpful but you want to be able to develope a relationship with your machine so that every time you sit down to sew it is like reconnecting with an old friend and you are so glad to be there. DogHouseMom has given you a good start on a list. Some of those things may be important to you and others not.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Ive got a Viking Sapphire and love the needle down feature that lifts the foot a little when you stop sewing. Easy for chain sewing and turning. Don't have a thread cutter but that's no big deal. It does have a larger throat area than a standard machine and I like that also. It was $1100 and that was expensive for me. It is not an embroidery machine so bought a cheap Brother for what little embroidery I do.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM

When I first got into quilting (about 5-6 years ago) I bought the Viking Sapphire and loved it (never had an older machine, so had nothing to compare to).

Less than a year later I wanted more - embroidery was what I wanted ... so I upgraded to the Topaz30.

I have a fabulous dealer and she "read" me accurately right off the bat when I bought the Sapphire. She laughed and said I'd be back in less than a year to upgrade ... and she was right. I didn't get top of the line because I do this for me, for fun - I donate everything I make. I do get some quilts done for me if I'm pressed for time, but otherwise, I will quilt them all myself.

I sat down with a pile of fabric, batting, etc. and she just let me sew away - checking out all the options.

She also does Husqvarna classes - embroidery and quilting classes - on alternate Fridays / Sundays. I go to both of those and learn all kinds of fabulous things about my machine.

I have just started FMQ and my machine does a beatiful job (it will be even better when I'm better at it!) ... if say, it 5 or 6 years, I discover I love FMQ, I might buy a sweet 16 ... or not ...

You really need to test drive a whole bunch and figure out what it is you want from your machine - and what do you really want to do?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:59 AM

If you're just starting your search, I think the BEST thing to do is just visit every single dealer within your area. Test drive every machine you can get your hands on. Take lots of notes - not only about the machines themselves but about the dealers as well. You'll want to make sure you're going to have repair and support available when you need it!

Personally I'm a big fan of Janome, and I also like Brother though I've only used lower-end Brother sewing machines and a embroidery-only machine that's probably somewhere in the middle.