Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets >
  • C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets

• C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets

Old 01-07-2015, 05:39 PM

Default C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets

Hi. Just doing a project where I want to applique maple leaves onto a quilt top and use machine finished turned applique, typically done with freezer paper foundations. I would rather not cut the quilt top in behind the applique to remove the freezer paper and have been reading up on water soluble options to substitute for the freezer paper. Beth Ferrier has recommended the C&T brand and I think it's maybe her product and was just wondering if anyone here has personal experience with this product and can share their insight as to how well it works, and how well it dissolves when the quilt is washed. With all the points on a maple leaf, freezer paper in it's stiffness, really helps get great points and edges. Any comments? Thank you in advance, Kathy
    Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Ai haven't used it yet but Sarah Ann. Smith, another quilting teacher, recommends it as well.
    Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 PM
    Power Poster

I have used something similar. It is floppier than freezer paper, which for me makes it more difficult to turn under the fabric. It dissolves, but not completely; a few fibers get left behind the applique. This doesn't matter, though. I just found the relative softness of the edge (compared to a freezer paper edge) to be a disadvantage.
    Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 AM

I haven't used the dissolvable backing for appliqué but did use the mesh for counted cross stitch and found it very handy. Did have to pull out threads of the mesh when done, as it was really only the heavy starch that dissolved. Don't know if the same is true for the one used for appliqué.
    Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 AM

I use freezer paper and always remove it entirely before I begin to applique it ...never cut the back..would this work for you...I use the starch and press method...not glue...small appliqué iron...turn it all over..then remove the paper and give it a good pressing afaik...holds like that until I use it..
    Old 01-08-2015, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
    I use freezer paper and always remove it entirely before I begin to applique it ...never cut the back..would this work for you...I use the starch and press method...not glue...small appliqué iron...turn it all over..then remove the paper and give it a good pressing afaik...holds like that until I use it..
    Also, try using the new spray starch substitute, Terial Magic. It is amazing and will not gum up your iron. It turns floppy fabric into paper-like stiffness in one good spray. It washes completely out.
    Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 AM

I am currently using this in a project for the 1st time. I worried it would be difficult to sew - it isn't't, the needle sew through very nicely. I haven't gotten to the point of trying to dissolve it but I have a friend who has and she has had much success with it. I wouldn't't hesitate to use it.
    Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 AM

This is the way I do it and I do a lot of applique. I do not like the idea of cutting the back of it.
    I use freezer paper and always remove it entirely before I begin to applique it ...never cut the back..would this work for you...
    Old 01-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Well, I'm new to this method, so not sure. Here is my trial leaf. The back edges are glued down with an Elmer's Glue Stick to the freezer paper. If I remove the paper before I sew it down, I think my edges will be ruined. I was wondering also, if there is a different way I should deal with the "V"'s in terms of turning them back, as the way they are, they are essentially raw edges. Any advice for this?
    Thank you for all of your help here.
    Attached Thumbnails leaf-back-close.jpg   leaf-back.jpg   leaf-front.jpg  
    Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

I have always used freezer paper and then I starch the applique so that when I remove the freezer paper, the applique keeps it shape. I use a few pins to keep certain points in place. Freezer paper is so inexpensive compared with the cost of other items.