Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM

I did not know that there was fusible batting in bamboo & cotton blend....it is really cushy,soft with a nice drape and I was very tempted at "Road To California" but trying to carry it was out of the question.... need to find it locally...never could use the spray baste because it caused breathing problems .... need to find out if anyone has tried the fusible and if there is vapor problem when it is ironed on. It appears to be perfect for QAYG, trying to iron on in a large piece...might not be fun. Anyone tried this?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:59 AM

OIC, Judy we must have been keying at the same time......good to know your experience, pins have always worked great for me so long as I have the handle thingy to help remove them.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

dhanke love your lime and the corner triangles and the secondary design. really love your design
Old 02-15-2015, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the compliments on my finished top. Anyone (especially Cat on a mac) who wants to come sit in the rocking chair and enjoy the blue sky, just come on. I'll even serve brownies! Lynnie, you mean I have to finish it? Really? Pretty high expecatation, but I think to get things done, it will go to a LA quilter. I'm into piecing and not so much into quilting it together.

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
I did not know that there was fusible batting in bamboo & cotton blend....it is really cushy,soft with a nice drape and I was very tempted at "Road To California" but trying to carry it was out of the question.... need to find it locally...never could use the spray baste because it caused breathing problems .... need to find out if anyone has tried the fusible and if there is vapor problem when it is ironed on. It appears to be perfect for QAYG, trying to iron on in a large piece...might not be fun. Anyone tried this?
I tried fusible Hobbs and it was okay, but I had to re-iron (is that a word?) the sections before I quilted them. So iron all three layers first, then work in one section, then reiron the next section...it's off putting, to say the least. It may work way better with the QAYG. SInce I have one batt left, I guess that might be the way to go with it in sections.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM

If I remember correctly, this is exactly what I didn't like about the Hobbs fusible -- didn't stay fused with handling. And do not remember if there was an odor problem when ironing it on.
Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I tried fusible Hobbs and it was okay, but I had to re-iron (is that a word?) the sections before I quilted them. So iron all three layers first, then work in one section, then reiron the next section...it's off putting, to say the least. It may work way better with the QAYG. SInce I have one batt left, I guess that might be the way to go with it in sections.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

dhanki your quilt turned out very pretty.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Whew! I made it! Still have 6 days til the next train leaves the station! Here's both my tops done, now to get them quilted! Good thing I have a longarm!!
Attached Thumbnails img_0910.jpg   img_0911.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:52 PM

I used spray starch to fuse the batting to the front and to the back of my QAYG panels. It worked great. I found fusible batting at Connecting Threads, but of course, only after my quilt was started. I would think that it would be perfect for the QAYG.

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM

Well if it does not stay fused and has to be "re-ironed" that is epic fail. Thank you for the information. Pins you are back in business.

re-iron and un-sew are very expressive words.....need a quilters dictionary !
Old 02-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
....Anyone (especially Cat on a mac) who wants to come sit in the rocking chair and enjoy the blue sky, just come on. I'll even serve brownies!
We may not be too far apart ... I'm in Sanibel. Sky's pretty blue here, too!