Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM

So sorry about the confusion on the triangles you gals are working with this week. Never thought to measure the base. But 7-1/4" sounds right.

Lynnie, thank you for your kind words! I try to make it easy and not scary. Lots of the gals say they never wanted to make things like sawtooth stars because they never could get them to size but my little sneaky oversized widths made perfect stars. I try to give my little cheat hints when I can. I am not a perfect quilter so have to adjust on occasion!
cat on a mac - just do the best you can. No quilt police here!
Lovetosew - more for the orphan block box -- one of these days I am going to dig into mine and make something with that mish-mash of sizes and undersized Boomerang blocks!
dotty - your quilt, your method. Yours sounds like a good idea. Remember what I told cat on a mac!
Oh, barri, come on board. Not too late to start. I'm sure all of us have multiple projects going, it keeps us sane! I know I like to do different things, sometimes it gets boring doing the same project for days at a time
Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Honchey, you are right... if the lights are all supposed to be on the same side what I tried will not work.

went back to clue (post226) the picture shows the lightest on same side (good thing I have tons of 4 inch squares ... because 1/2 of these are not correct).

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 01-18-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM

Oh, barri, come on board. Not too late to start. I'm sure all of us have multiple projects going, it keeps us sane! I know I like to do different things, sometimes it gets boring doing the same project for days at a time[/QUOTE]

Like me...working on now 4 mysteries & 2 UFO tops (almost done with the UFO's--will quilt in the next few months)...& yes, keeps me sane & insane at the same time. I get bored easy. I'm doing Judy's as a leader/ender for the other mysteries...still need to get working on #7 (but can't get to doing that center I talked about till beginning of March; all the steps are finished except that center for applique--then it will be fun to see how I can put all the clues together to honor the original mystery). Do at your own pace...months later finishes pop up on the thread! Time to get sewing...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM

I cut my squares at 4" because the smaller measurement rarely seems to work. Operator error. I've been in the first aid car so you all don't get my cold. First one since leaving the classroom 4 years ago...and it came from volunteering in a classroom. Anyway, the discussions on how to cut are interesting. Would it be boring if I used the same light throughout?Cat-om-a-mac go visit the club car and fill up on goodies, then you'll want to join us lickety split! See you all soon!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 AM

If you sewed your triangles with half of the lights together and half of the mediums together, don't go through all the trouble to re-do them -- it will be fine, you'll see next week. I'll put a note in clue 3, right now, to remind you of a couple ways to handle this.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Would it be boring if I used the same light throughout?!
You mean the exact same fabric, I assume? You could do it if you don't have enough scraps, but wouldn't be scrappy, would it?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I cut my squares at 4" because the smaller measurement rarely seems to work. Operator error. I've been in the first aid car so you all don't get my cold. First one since leaving the classroom 4 years ago...and it came from volunteering in a classroom. Anyway, the discussions on how to cut are interesting. Would it be boring if I used the same light throughout?Cat-om-a-mac go visit the club car and fill up on goodies, then you'll want to join us lickety split! See you all soon!
I know from experience: classrooms are petri dishes! Feel better.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
You mean the exact same fabric, I assume? You could do it if you don't have enough scraps, but wouldn't be scrappy, would it?
HA! Yes, that's what I meant, all the same of the light. No, it wouldn't be a true scrappy, but it would be easy! Can you figure out my personality type?

Last edited by coopah; 01-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 AM

if each one is one light and one med. light but the light is not always on the same side is that ok?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Judy, does the lightest light need to b on the sme side?
can it be mixed? some on one side some on the other

I know being to picky here