Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Out of my comfort zone, part 2... >

Out of my comfort zone, part 2...

Out of my comfort zone, part 2...

Old 01-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Out of my comfort zone, part 2...

I posted yesterday, asking for help because I was way out of my comfort zone on this quilt. It isn't a difficult pattern, so that wasn't my problem. The problem was all of the colors. It just looked like a mess to me.

With a lot of help from many folks here, I have rearranged a few blocks and added a border. This is all on my design wall, and the blocks are not sewn together, etc.

But, I think this will do it. I even have a back up plan if I change my mind in the next few hours....as I am going to leave this on my design wall for at least that long before my decision is final.

The pattern is called Picnic from a book called Scrap Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. I was inspired to do this quilt by a thread called Scrappy Batik Quilt...which I will add if I can find the link. The quilt shown there is beautiful. I wasn't trying to copy, but I wanted mine to look good. I think scrappy quilts will always be out of my comfort zone and I will avoid them from now on and just admire other folks' scrappy quilts, but I think I have a design here I can live with.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t258334.html

Thanks for all the help.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002176.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Glad you re-arranged those blocks and the border looks great. I think I would add a narrow border inside the one shown of the light green in the quilt. Or the red would work too. Either one would set it all off just fine.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Hmmm, I don't have enough of either of those colors. Most of these started out as pieces from a layer cake. May look at other options there though. Thanks.

Dina
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 AM

I have a quilt wall to help me keep my mind together but I also like to take photo with my phone to check with it to make sure I have not pulled anything off the wall and sewn it only to put it back in the WRONG spot or wrong direction.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I think it looks great Dina. I love the balance of color, can't go wrong with working with batiks. I find it more difficult to work with scrappy quilts then making a bargello. Once you learn a technique, it is easier to stick with what feels comfortable.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 01-12-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:56 PM

I think your quilt is beautiful! I love scrappy quilts, you did a great job!!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Your blocks and the purple border look lovely!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I think it looks great Dina. I love the balance of color, can't go wrong with working with batiks. I find it more difficult to work with scrappy quilts then making a bargello. Once you learn a technique, it is easier to stick with what feels comfortable.
Yes, Joellyn, I agree. Bargellos are easier than scrappy quilts. I will have to go back to Bargellos to find my comfort zone.... Thanks for saying I did okay.

Dina
Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM

I think your quilt is going to be beautiful, exactly as pictured. Once it is quilted you will be amazed. I love to do scrappy, it always has so much character. And they always look so much better after quilting.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 AM

Love how you rearranged the blocks with purple ones evenly spaced. The border just pulls it all together. Great job. Nothing like a design wall and a camera to make setting a quilt together easier.