Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap Quilt not long enough, any suggestions would help? >

Lap Quilt not long enough, any suggestions would help?

Lap Quilt not long enough, any suggestions would help?

Old 01-12-2015, 03:45 PM

Default Lap Quilt not long enough, any suggestions would help?

So most of you know that I started my rose lap quilt and I'm on my fourth row but because this is the first one like this I thought it would be long enough after getting them together but after laying it down I noticed nope still two short. But whats bad is I already have three of them sewed together I know I'm going to have to rip them out and put something between them. Could this have been avoided? Is this something that has happened to you? because know its going to take me even longer to get it done.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:55 PM

You could take it apart and add strips or just make a border to the size you want, you could even do a double or triple border, I've done that when I want to make a quilt bigger and don't have enough blocks.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

What I would do.
Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
You could take it apart and add strips or just make a border to the size you want, you could even do a double or triple border, I've done that when I want to make a quilt bigger and don't have enough blocks.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM

Definitely think you could make it up in the borders!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Thank you so much, I think I will add strips between the panels and one boarder then see how it looks.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 View Post
So most of you know that I started my rose lap quilt and I'm on my fourth row but because this is the first one like this I thought it would be long enough after getting them together but after laying it down I noticed nope still two short. But whats bad is I already have three of them sewed together I know I'm going to have to rip them out and put something between them. Could this have been avoided? Is this something that has happened to you? because know its going to take me even longer to get it done.
To answer that question { could this have been avoided?}
In the future, before sewing rows together, measure the width of your rows, then count how many rows there are.... 6 1/2" wide rows, 5 rows is going to be 30" of quilt.... 12 1/2" wide rows, 5 rows = 60".
Decide ahead of time how long you want your quilt to be, then you can decide if you need sashing between rows or borders around the whole quilt. Taking the time to do the math can save lots of ( deconstruction/ reconstruction)
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I ended up with a square quilt but I wanted to add some length to the quilt so I just added a piano border. You could just added an inside border to the top and bottom of your quilt top.
Attached Thumbnails whirlygig.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 AM

Great idea for the top and bottom border. It adds interest to the quilt too. Nice work!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I ended up with a square quilt but I wanted to add some length to the quilt so I just added a piano border. You could just added an inside border to the top and bottom of your quilt top.
That ended up looking " intentional" nice looking quilt!

To the original poster - experience is usually a great teacher - and, yes, I have had to rethink and redo things.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
To answer that question { could this have been avoided?}
In the future, before sewing rows together, measure the width of your rows, then count how many rows there are.... 6 1/2" wide rows, 5 rows is going to be 30" of quilt.... 12 1/2" wide rows, 5 rows = 60".
Decide ahead of time how long you want your quilt to be, then you can decide if you need sashing between rows or borders around the whole quilt. Taking the time to do the math can save lots of ( deconstruction/ reconstruction)
Oh wow, I didn't even think about this thank you so much this makes me glad we have this message board and glad I am able to ask questions like this to get other options.