Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise for a beginner with free motion quilting and stitching in the ditch. >

Advise for a beginner with free motion quilting and stitching in the ditch.

Advise for a beginner with free motion quilting and stitching in the ditch.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Smile Advise for a beginner with free motion quilting and stitching in the ditch.

Would anyone like to post advise on this subject? Do's and don't's what worked best for you? I am taking a class in a couple of weeks but I love to gather knowledge from all places. I have 2 quilts I am finishing up and want to learn this techinque. Who better to ask than all of you right?

Thanks in advance!

Kristy in MI
Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Put together small ( sandwiches- top, batting, backing) and Practice, Practice, Practice and Practice some more! Use a walking foot for stitch in the ditch, straight line quilting, use a *hopping* foot for free motion, curves, designs.... And practice.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM

FMQing is much easier with quilting gloves. Mine were not very expensive and help "grip" the quilt to move it around. I don't try to stay in the ditch, I put the edge my foot against the ditch. I find I can keep it straighter that way.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I like to wear Machinger gloves to help move my quilt when I FMQ. I enjoy the step by step instructions from Lori Kennedy at www.theinboxjaunt.com/ under Tuesday Tutorials. I also love my book of designs by Angela Walter's Shape By Shape book.
It takes practice so taking a class is a good place to start. Do you have a class list of supplies? If you are to bring your own machine, make sure you have a darning or hopping foot for your machine. Have fun!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Definitely use gloves, and I also shadow stitch - not in the ditch, but just a bit to the side of it. It's much easier and looks better than trying to hit that seam dead on.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM

http://theinboxjaunt.com/quilt/free-...ing-tutorials/
I find the above site a lot of help understanding how FMQ works.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Ditching is not all that easy. Having the seams pressed properly and to one side makes that a much easier method. I like to gently spread the seam so I can see exactly where the needle is hitting. When I let go, the stitches are often hidden. On the other hand, I sometimes run high or low and when that happens, I accept it and move on.

FMQ is a matter of finding your personal mojo. The speed of the machine and the speed of you moving the sandwich have to be in synch. When you move too slowly, you'll have tiny stitches. When you move too fast, you'll have giant stitches. Moving evenly is important, particularly when going around curves.

Accept that your first piece is going to probably suck - it takes LOTS and LOTS of practice. I had to practice LOTS before I got good enough that I sucked. I was THAT BAD. lol Now I use matching thread to help disguise some of the less than perfect areas.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

I refuse to do stitch-in-the-ditch anymore. It is too nerve-wracking for me. If you MUST do it, use a walking foot.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 PM

Small batting sandwiches (I use cheap muslin from joanns, and batting scraps from projects), lots of different thread types to see what you like, topsticthing needles, machingers gloves, supreme slider or sew slip, practice practice, practice. Me personally all my practices mostly have been stencils, and simple meander. Books are nice, but I honestly learned the most from watching craftsy. I adore Patsy Thompson she is awesome on craftsy and in person as well. SITD monopoly on top but cotton on back to match.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 AM

For free motion quilting designs you should check out Leah Day's website. She has lots and lots of designs. Here's the link: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/