Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not buying any new fabric !! >

Not buying any new fabric !!

Not buying any new fabric !!

Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM

I know that I will be buying 'some' fabric this year. I want to make a quilt for DD and DSIL as well as DS and DDIL. And I know that what I have in my stash will not be 'perfect' for these projects. I also know that I have a lot that I would like to work thru--scrappy's, donation quilts, etc etc. What I need is TIME!! I try very hard, to spend every afternoon in my sewing room, but 4 times out of 5, something or someone interrupts and my project gets set aside again. It is really really frustrating and I end up feeling guilty that I resent the fact that I have to stop to make a meal or walk the dog or whatever. Oh well, maybe tomorrow--or next week....
Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
I have too much fabric also. It doesn't sound like I have a fraction of what some of you have though. I just have a small space to store it. Two years ago I stopped buying fabric except for what I needed to finish a project. My kids give me gift cards to the LQS at Christmas and birthday that I can spend through the year. That helps a lot. For the last two years I have been finishing UFOs. It has been a challenge to me because I had so many. That has helped with the fabric buying too. This year I think I will get all my UFOs finished. I am down to six. When I finish those, I will start on all the quilt kits I have bought. I have more kits than I do random fabric purchases. I make a list at the beginning of each year for which quilts to complete. So far my plan has worked. I can see that my stash is going down. Good luck to all who are trying to use up the stash and may you live long enough to need to buy more fabric.
I like this idea and since the beginning of a new year is just the time to implement it!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 PM

For the past year or so I've limited myself to buying only if needed for a specific project.

Seems like no matter how much fabric you have, there's always one or two pieces needed to do the next project.

But, that's not the same as having to get everything for that project at the same time. Nor is it the same as buying every gorgeous fabric that catches your eye (my former mode of shopping - and why I went shopping infrequently).

What my stash is lacking in is blenders and other fabrics that read as solids.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 PM

This is not the post to read on the same day that I get a coupon from Joann's for 30% off my entire purchase. Fortunately, I have made no promise to stop buying fabric. I mostly buy for planned projects and most of that is backings. But, I reserve the right to buy whatever catches my eye, whether I need it or not.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 PM

I am with the rest of you. I ended up buying 4 yards of fabric today for the back and binding of a quilt. I was quite aggravated bit had absolutely nothing that would work. At least it was 50 percent off and it will finish a quilt. And it is not going into my stash.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I don't even want to talk about it! My name is Leesa and I am a fabriholic!
Hi Leesa!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
It was very difficult for me, but I reduced my stash by about half last week! I had so much I just knew I'd never get around to using, so it had to go. I put it out there on Facebook and two women jumped at their chance for FREE, yes, FREE fabric! They were both young moms with little extra cash and both had hand-me-down sewing machines. I felt so good sharing my stories with them. I think we shall remain in touch to see what they do with their newly acquired treasure trove of fabrics!
This is awesome! I have been the young mom with no money. Do stay in touch as they might need you for more guidance in the years to come.. Blessings.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
No guilt - No Shame. I love my scrap bins, and can always find whatever will work best for applique or a scrappy quilt. Don't beat yourself up, but now that you will have them organized, have fun with them
Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
I just moved three weeks ago and was horrified when I started packing up my quilting room. I have so much fabric. fat quarters, jelly rolls, charm packs and UFO's. I was offended when my daughter said I was a hoarder but now I think she has a point. Now I have the rest of my boxes unpacked and settled, its time to tackle my quilting room and I am feeling excited and nervous at the same time. I do know I won't be buying any more fabric ever. LOL
oh my gosh! Are you my twin? While I am not moving my daughter has called me a hoarder also! I took the 2015 challenge to not buy fabric and due to MSQC daily specials I have fallen off twice. Just yesterday I discovered I have jelly rolls i didnt even remember!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 View Post
I hear you, I heard on a podcast American patch work that some times you have to go through your fabric some times and get rid of what your not using. I also only buy fabric if I'm wanting to do a certain color of quilt and the rest of the time stay away from buying fabric. Lately what I have been doing is making rags to clean with or wash rags for my children to use to bath with. That way the fabric is being used even if its not being quilted with.
Do you sew batting into them? I am intrigued. Any pictures of your rags?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I have a friend who is a hoarder. I have not understood why she buys and buys and her house is full as well as about 20 storage units. Now I do ! A shelf in my sewing room broke so DH needs to fix it. I have fabric stored in bins on the shelves and they are too heavy. I knew that I had FQ's, yardage and scrapes all mixed together so I figured I would clean the bins out. So far, I have gone through the red, green, brown, yellow and orange and the purple and turquoise fabric bins. I must have 500 FQ, about 50 Fat 8ths and three grocery sacks of scrapes to be cut up. Now that still leaves me the black and white, the patriotic, 2 bins of Christmas, 2 bins of children, 1 bin of mixed, one bin of floral and 2 very large bins of blue. None of these have solids in them, that is another area of the room. I think there is another bin, but I am afraid now to go into that room and check it out. I also have FQ's in the chest in the guest bedroom with all my charm squares. There has to be about 50-75 FQ of my Kaffe Fassett fabric as well as my Liberty of London Fat Sixteenth's. And believe it or not, all this except the chest are in my sewing room which is a small ex-bedroom. So now I am more than a little ashamed of all I have, I will never ever use up all my fabric. I have made a rule now that I will not buy any more fabric -other than the background or borders for my quilts. It comes at a good time as I have made all my family members quilts in their desired designs/fabrics and now I am free to use what I have. I am wondering if there is a 12 step group I can go to ?
Oh my...Makes one stop and think....