Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping for sewing table--machine on top or inset? >

Shopping for sewing table--machine on top or inset?

Shopping for sewing table--machine on top or inset?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 PM

Default Shopping for sewing table--machine on top or inset?

I'm looking at sewing tables with more room behind and to the left of the machine; I'm tired of the old student desk I use with almost no room on those sides. Since I've used this desk for over 15 years, I'm really used to having my machine sit on the desktop.

Do you like/prefer to have your machine set into your table? Seems great for quilting, but what if you wish to use the free arm for hemming up jeans or whatever? Do inset tables have covers for the opening so you can use the free arm if you need it? Ideas and opinions, please!

Best wishes,
Hallie in NM
Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 PM

It depends on which table you buy. The expensive tables with airlift allow you to raise your machine up to table height. I just set my machine down onto a shelf under the desk top, so on the rare occasions I want to use my free arm I just lift my machine out and set it on the side of my desk. Once you use your machine set down at desk height you will love it. It is much easier on your shoulders.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Been sewing for the last 9 years or so, using a my machine on my dining room table. Noticed that after sewing for a couple hours, my back hurt. Found a used portable sewing table at a thrift shop and wow, what a difference. Much more comfortable to sew. Yes, you have to move your machine to a different surface to use the free arm, but I don't do that often. Check with the manufacturers to see if they make a solid insert, some really high end cabinets will let you raise your machine to make it flush with the table and also raise it all the way to use your free arm. VERY pricy.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 AM

You can buy the lift mechanism by itself, still a bit pricey, but someone handy with tools could make a custom table very easily.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 AM

I like my machine in a recess, so that I have the whole table to put my design on. It is comfortable and no back acts after sitting for some time. Mary
Old 02-04-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I have my Bernina sitting in my old Singer sewing desk well. I would rather have a table with an insert cut out. EB did a demo on one of her show and her son actually did the steps during the taping. I would assume it is somewhere on u-tube.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 AM

I have two machines a vintage cabinet mounted and a 20 year old Viking. I used the vintage way more because it was recessed in a cabinet. A few months ago I finally broke down and bought a cabinet that recesses my Viking , All I can say is WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG. !!!!!

I was able to find a new one at a good price , it was a discontinued model. I was never interested in the motorized version that lowers the machine, as I keep my machine in it own room in the "ready to go" position.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 AM

My machine is oversized so bought a Bertha table. I had to put it togather but I have to do that with lots of furniture.
It is great for having the machine inset level with an insert for around the machine. Makes fabric and quilts easier to funnel thru the machine.
Used to have a plastic table around my machine and the quilt kept getting caught on the edge of the table. Hated it.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I have 2 Singer machines, 2662 portable and a 401 Slant-O-Matic. The 401 is recessed in the desk cabinet. Actually, it's in position to sew. I have my 2662 on a 6' folding table. The 401 butts up against the table. I have recessed the 401 to use the 2662 in the past. If you know of someone who is pretty handy, you may want to check out the thrift stores for executive size desks to cut an insert for you. It will depend on your budget and space. So take measurements with you. Good Luck and show us photos when you get set up.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 AM

I have a Horn table I got years ago. I love it; it was worth every penny I paid for it. It has the inserts to fit both my Pfaff and my Viking. It has a solid insert so when it's in "folded" mode it looks like any table. I had it in a small room so it was always "folded" with just the clear insert around my machine. When I finally got a sewing room/office, I was able to "unfold" all the components and its huge. Tons of room. Next to my machine, the best investment I ever made as far as any "extra, can live without it" item.