Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to buy batting >

Best way to buy batting

Best way to buy batting

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Default Best way to buy batting

I've always bought batting in a package, usually queen size. But often I cut it down to make a large lap size and then I have odd sized pieces left that I have to piece or use as a table runner. That's fine but I'm not so much into runners and wonder what is the best way to buy batting so there isn't so much waste? I've never bought batting off the bolt but maybe that's the best way. How do you buy your batting?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM

I always buy my batting by the yard, the wider the better since I use the same one 90% of the time piecing larger pieces together isn't a problem. I don't like wasting my batting.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:11 PM

I usually buy a whole bolt. Order it from JoAnns.com when it is on sale for 50% off. For my large queen/king quilts, I buy a package of king size batting.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Banned

I buy it by the bolt from Walmart.com, it usually beats JoAnns sale prices.

Cari
Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 PM

I buy it by the roll (30 yards/96" wide) from BattMart. I also piece leftover pieces.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 PM

I figured it per sq inch by roll and by precut. Saved about $75 by the bolt. That was before Joann 50% off. It does take up more room and my DH has to help me wrestle it around when I need to roll it out to cut. That's why I will make 3-6 tops than cut all batting needed.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I also purchase bolts from *BattMart* . also when connecting threads has their batting sales I pick up a variety of sizes, generally the ones smaller than my bolt is wide, throws, baby size, craft size, queen & king wool and a couple queen black battings so I have a good variety of sizes, types for what ever comes along.
I also piece scraps and use them up. I just butt the edges together and zigzag them together. Often the cut away pieces are perfect for throws, kid/ baby quilts or for raggy quilts
Old 02-05-2015, 05:38 AM

I have ordered from Joanns by the bolt when it is 50% off, but when I need it in a hurry I buy from Gammills because they are close to me and I can go there, buy and also buy thread, shop and dine out and still get home within a few hours.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 AM

I order by the bolt from Joanns when it is 50% off...and there is a free shipping coupon.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM

It would depend if you always use the same batting, or if you will use different battings for different quilts. I use whatever batting is best for that particular quilt, so I buy prepackaged batting. I prefer hobbs and buy from connecting threads when on sale, but I found an oops on Walmarts website that netted me 4 packages of 110"sq high loft poly batting for $11 total. I ordered 8 packages and made them honor the advertising (they have since changed the description). So I am currently full of batting!