Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Wedding Ring from Eleanor Burns' Book Egg Money >

Double Wedding Ring from Eleanor Burns' Book Egg Money

Double Wedding Ring from Eleanor Burns' Book Egg Money

Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Double Wedding Ring from Eleanor Burns' Book Egg Money

Would love to hear from those who have made the DWR quilt using Eleanor Burns' Egg Money directions. Did you use stripe material? How was it when you sewed the rings down? Was it worth the effort to use the fusible? Any and all information regarding DWR quilts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:53 AM

I will be watching the posts - I have been thinking about making one of those also.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by OneDoxieMom View Post
I will be watching the posts - I have been thinking about making one of those also.
I'll be watching also. Same reason.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM

I did the table runner several years ago with a group to learn the technique. Came home and cut a bunch of 30's scraps to do a large quilt. At that time did all the rings with the interfacing and turned them. Time consuming to do all the trimming, turning and finger creasing so the interfacing didn't show on front. Put it away and just recently took it out again, UFO that I am determined to finish. Ironed down all the arcs but remembered it was difficult for me to do the triangle corners when I had done the table runner. Decided instead to sew all the blocks with the arcs together as a quilt and then applique a flower over the square where the triangles are supposed to meet. Not yet finished, need fabric for the applique flowers-I want them to all be the same. But, I will say that it is going to look great and I don't have to worry about all those arcs and points meeting up-just cover them up. No one will know except me how uneven they might be under the applique. After saying all this, I have seen other people's quilts done following the method and they look really good so it can be done. If you are ready to take the time and effort, I think EB's way is just as successful as the "traditional way". A DWR quilt done in any manner is not an easy task in my opinion but the end result is always great. My suggestion is to try the table runner first and see how you like the method. Good luck and have fun, I think you'll like the outcome. My daughter and I are big fans of EB and have several of her books and love most of her short cut methods.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

thanks for all the details, greensleeves... i'd thought about trying it myself... think i'll take your advice and do the runner first.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 PM

I have also wanted to tackle this quilt. I like to use the fusible to turn, I will make the table runner also first and see if I can handle the whole enchilada.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM

I have this book by Eleanor Burns. A little time consuming, kinda fun to do but read the instructions, be sure to mark the corners and center correctly or it will be completely off when you put it together. I only made a table runner and gave it to my sister in law so I don't have a picture. Thinking of trying again. Good luck and post a picture and let us know what you think.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:32 AM

Greensleeves, I would love to see a photo of your flower idea. Even tho it is a WIP. Sounds very interesting. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
I did the table runner several years ago with a group to learn the technique. Came home and cut a bunch of 30's scraps to do a large quilt. At that time did all the rings with the interfacing and turned them. Time consuming to do all the trimming, turning and finger creasing so the interfacing didn't show on front. Put it away and just recently took it out again, UFO that I am determined to finish. Ironed down all the arcs but remembered it was difficult for me to do the triangle corners when I had done the table runner. Decided instead to sew all the blocks with the arcs together as a quilt and then applique a flower over the square where the triangles are supposed to meet. Not yet finished, need fabric for the applique flowers-I want them to all be the same. But, I will say that it is going to look great and I don't have to worry about all those arcs and points meeting up-just cover them up. No one will know except me how uneven they might be under the applique. After saying all this, I have seen other people's quilts done following the method and they look really good so it can be done. If you are ready to take the time and effort, I think EB's way is just as successful as the "traditional way". A DWR quilt done in any manner is not an easy task in my opinion but the end result is always great. My suggestion is to try the table runner first and see how you like the method. Good luck and have fun, I think you'll like the outcome. My daughter and I are big fans of EB and have several of her books and love most of her short cut methods.

I'm looking forward to seeing this! What a great idea!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 AM

Have never posted a pic but will see if I can, may take a couple of days.