Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thoughts on Janome Skyline? >

thoughts on Janome Skyline?

thoughts on Janome Skyline?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Default thoughts on Janome Skyline?

Here is my situation: my machine is the Husqvarna Viking Quilt Designer II. It's about 5 years old. Two potential issues with this machine: 1)The machine has been discontinued, so I can no longer get stitch cards etc for it. The stitch cards each have several decorative stitches on them, but once the computerized cards fail, you can no longer use any of the stitches on the card. 2) The machine has an attachment for embroidery. I embroider all of the baptism blankets for each new baby in our church; this is a weekly thing. It's kind of a hassle to change back and forth from embroidery to piecing, therefore I rarely get any piecing done.
OK, so now I am thinking about dedicating the Viking to embroidery and, when/if the need arises, decorative stitches. Which means I would get a new machine for piecing and quilting. I looked at several Janome models, and am thinking about the Skyline. It's cheaper-I don't need all the bells and whistles.
Does anyone have thoughts-positive or negative-about this machine? Particularly, is it a good machine for piecing?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Test driving would be your best option. It is so new that there probably aren't many reviews for it yet
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 PM

I agree -- it has a lot of nice features but I would bring some fabric into a dealer and put the machine through its paces, Don't forget to do button holes -- some of the Janome's have had issues with button holes and you never know when you need to make them (I put them along the top of a shower curtain ).
Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by sarge1 View Post
Here is my situation: my machine is the Husqvarna Viking Quilt Designer II. It's about 5 years old. Two potential issues with this machine: 1)The machine has been discontinued, so I can no longer get stitch cards etc for it. The stitch cards each have several decorative stitches on them, but once the computerized cards fail, you can no longer use any of the stitches on the card. 2) The machine has an attachment for embroidery. I embroider all of the baptism blankets for each new baby in our church; this is a weekly thing. It's kind of a hassle to change back and forth from embroidery to piecing, therefore I rarely get any piecing done.
OK, so now I am thinking about dedicating the Viking to embroidery and, when/if the need arises, decorative stitches. Which means I would get a new machine for piecing and quilting. I looked at several Janome models, and am thinking about the Skyline. It's cheaper-I don't need all the bells and whistles.
Does anyone have thoughts-positive or negative-about this machine? Particularly, is it a good machine for piecing?
Thanks in advance.
Just fyi, sewingpatternreview has a user review on the Skyline. You may have to join (free) to read their reviews.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:30 AM

just got janome styline s5 3 months ago love love it, fast,quit so many options l am very happy with it.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I always encourage people to test drive the machine first. Going to a large quilt show is great because it become a one stop shopping experience. You have to test drive them just like you would a car !! Have fun.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 AM

So far, all I've read and heard about the Skyline has been very positive. So far I've been resisting it only bc I have a full-featured machine I like for quilting and a smaller janome for the free-arm and wider selection of dec stitches. I really liked what I saw of it in the store...very quiet and great stitch quality.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM

Keep in mind the same thing will play out with any new machine you get. They are all computerized and software becomes outdated so the makers stop offering support/repair for the older machines.

This is true of our computers too, unless we only use them as word processors. The software is continually being updated and pretty soon our computers are boat anchors. Nature of the beast.

Anyway, sit down and try a lot of machines.

And if you are doing that many blankets, the church should kick in with some moola.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 AM

I'm considering the Skyline as well because it's about $1000 less than the 8200 which is what I've REALLY had my eye on. The Skyline has a 9" throat, while the 82 has 11". How much ACTUAL difference do those 2" make? And it looks like the 8200 doesn't require a walking foot but the Skyline does?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Administrator

That 2" does make a world of difference.
Also, the AccuFeed system leaves a traditional walking [even feed] foot in the dust.
I noticed that the Skyline doesn't have a true extension table available even as an optional accessory.

If I had the budget to choose between a Skyline and an 8200 I'd be inclined to go with the 8200. It doesn't come with an extension table, but the "extra wide table/clothsetter" can be purchased separately. (be prepared for some serious sticker shock, though. LOL)

i don't think you'd be unhappy with a skyline. i only suspect you'd be happier with the 8200 over the long haul.

Have you considered the MC6600P? It should be priced somewhere between the skyline and the 8200.
9" to the right; accufeed system (although not as much a joy as the newer accufeed system found on the 8200 and ups); extension table comes in the box; an absolute workhorse.

check out the 8900 while you're at it.
higher in price but all but two "must have" quilting feet accessories come in the box.
i've had mine for two years. the only two things i [personally] had to have, so purchased separately, were the quarter-inch and the open toe accufeet.

i fall in line with those who encourage you to take some fabrics to sit down and test drive anything you are considering. make sure to take along a small quilt sandwich, too, so you can compare the performance for quilting - not just for piecing.