Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serging before quilting >

Serging before quilting

Serging before quilting

Old 03-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Default Serging before quilting

I have recently gotten into sewing and quilting. I basted a quilt recently but I was being driven nuts by the extra backing and batting around the edges. I am machine quilting and wasn't done yet but I decided to serge around the edges so I wouldn't have to deal with as much fabric and fraying. It has made my quilting much easier but I am wondering if I was foolish to do so. Any hints, help or admonishments appreciated. I may make this a standard practice when machine quilting.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Yes, I serge around my quilts before attaching the binding to help me keep the edges even and in check. I find it to make the task much easier. I save this for the last step, though, after I am done with the quilting. I don't know that I would feel comfy doing it before that task was completely done.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

The reason for extra batting/ backing is due to the fabrics ( drawing up) with the quilt process, much like when doing applique you make your blocks larger, stitch the appliques, then trim to the correct size. When quilting the process causes the fabrics to draw up, become slightly distorted. Having the extra makes it possible to trim/ square up after quilting, before binding. Also, you start quilting in the center, working your way out to the edges so any distortion is eased out along the edges. If your edges are already finished there is no where for any fullness to go, which could cause unsightly wrinkles, creases, pleats in your quilt.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM

I think ckcowl hit the nail on the head. I do use a spray baste glue, then sew baste the outside edges before I quilt. But if I need to, I can remove the stitches, and make adjustments.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:46 PM

I have a baby quilt with Winnie the pooh fabric and I'm waiting to find out sex before binding, I have quilted it and I served the edges to keep it neat until I apply the binding.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 AM

I glue baste all of my smaller quilts. The longarmer bastes the ones she quilts for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
The reason for extra batting/ backing is due to the fabrics ( drawing up) with the quilt process, much like when doing applique you make your blocks larger, stitch the appliques, then trim to the correct size. When quilting the process causes the fabrics to draw up, become slightly distorted. Having the extra makes it possible to trim/ square up after quilting, before binding. Also, you start quilting in the center, working your way out to the edges so any distortion is eased out along the edges. If your edges are already finished there is no where for any fullness to go, which could cause unsightly wrinkles, creases, pleats in your quilt.
You said it. To the OP: You may have problems if you serge the edges early on in the process of quilting for these stated reasons. I know from experience (not serging, but just sewing down the edges too early).
Old 03-04-2015, 03:40 AM

I stitch in the ditch on most of the major seams before I quilt so there is no chance for the fabric to move but it is good to have that extra fabric from the back to hold onto when you are quilting at the borders.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:56 AM

Ravels on the edges of backing fabric pluck my nerves. so I've started serging the edges before putting backing on the frame. I also do a lot of scrap quilts and sometimes it works to serge the edges of the blocks and get a sturdy seam to anchor little strips before joining the blocks. A good friend gave me a serger that wasn't in good working order, she had been given the machine by another lady but my friend already had one. Once it was cleaned, oiled, threaded right, needles changed it's a fun toy and I'm trying to teach myself serger techniques. Fortunately the manual came it!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Yep, don't serge until you finish the quilting.