Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with stencils >

Quilting with stencils

Quilting with stencils

Old 03-11-2015, 08:57 PM

A great alternative to using the pounce is to use cornstarch with a dry small paint brush. Much cheaper!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:54 AM

I am doing the FMQ with my Singer 301A. I have finished all the pinwheel/flower designs and just doing some FMQ in the borders. If you don't look at my flowers closely (Squint and be about 5 feet or more away), they look pretty good. LOL!!! I am quite proud of my first time using stencils and will keep on using them. I may try the chalk pounce next time. I used the purple disappearing marker to mark my pattern. So far, they have all faded away. I used a puffy polyester batting and it was kind of a pain to mark the stencil but I think if I use cotton batting, I will like it better next time.

I found some excellent tutorials on YouTube by Lynn Witzenburg, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r6Jte-wxYw She has tutorials on FMQ and stencils and they really are easy and informative. Watching the videos has given my the courage to keep on trying with stencils.
[h=1][/h]
Old 03-12-2015, 06:25 AM

I wouldn't worry about the line as long as you are close. It doesn't have to be spot on to look great when you erase the lines. The more practice over time you will get better with the lines.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Just remember - once the line is gone no one will know that you weren't on it. Try it, get rid of the line and see how you like it. When I first got my long arm a friend of mine was over and I was trying to follow a panto, she kept telling me I wasn't on the line - I told her the line is a GUIDE. When we took it off it actually pretty good .
Exactly! I haven't done a lot of free motion but have found that when the quilt is finished it is hard to find the areas that I thought weren't up to snuff. Go for it. I think you will be pleased with the results!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
If I were you, I'd have a go with a practice sandwich to see if it will work. I've never followed a drawn pattern, but I imagine it would be easier than trying to draw without a stencil (which I am terrible at!)
I took a workshop recently and the tutor recommended using watercolour pencils to mark patterns with. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense, and she said she'd tried all the different "quilting" markers and these were much better! Also frixion pens might work, as the marks disappear when ironed, but can be brought back with a little while in the freezer, they then apparently wash out completely, although I have not tested this either!
Good luck :-)
I bought some water color pencils to mark quilts with. Tested it out on a piece of fabric and could not get them to wash out. They just spread out over the fabric. So be sure to test them first if you buy any.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Do the Frixion pen marks really disappear when you iron over them?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
Do the Frixion pen marks really disappear when you iron over them?
I used the frixion pen to mark my stencil and it came out with ironing ..it was a gift for my DIL and I mailed it to her in Cleveland where the temp was -2 and I worried that the lines would come back in transit.....they didn't