Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt >

Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt

Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt

Old 03-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I have purchased the Just My Size t-shirts from WalMart. They hold up fine and last for years.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
I'd suggest buying a shirt you like that fits you well. Do NOT wash it. Take it apart at the seams & make a pattern by tracing the parts. You may have to press the seams down on pieces first to get them to lay flat. Press, do not iron, to keep them from being disorted. I use freezer wrap paper to make patterns. You can use newspaper or any paper. If it's not wide enough then tape pieces of paper together. Draw a diagram of your shirt on a separate piece of paper. Make notes of each seam width, type of seam, i.e. overlocked, flat felled, hem type/length, etc. Also note the width & length of each piece, direction of cutting of each piece on grain, bias, etc. Buy fabric, making sure you get extra yardage for shrinkage. Wash/dry the fabric to preshrink it. Then cut out the pattern & sew it together, using the same type/size of seams as the shirt you bought. You don't have to be a master seamstress to do this. Think of it like putting a puzzle together. Each piece fits in it's own place. Once you have a pattern made & it fits you well then you can make your own from then on.

I have done this for many shirts, jeans, shorts, etc most of my life, as I'm small framed & could not find clothes, I liked, that were small enough to fit me well. Most store bought clothes had/have to be to be altered to fit me. I recently made a flannel shirt from an old one I had worn for several years. It was one of my favorite shirts & when it got holes in it I ripped it apart & made a pattern. Right now I am making summer shorts & t-tops from knits using a pattern I made years ago.
Exactly what I was going to suggest!! Make sure you leave enough for seams. I like the idea of ironing the "fabric pattern" to freezer paper!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM

Knit fabrics are so expensive these days! Once you get into plus size sewing, it's almost cheaper to buy tops.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:57 AM

Mary Ann I hope you will take the chance to go find someone who sews. First off if you have sewing in one of the schools near you they might help you out with sizing. Now, comes the best of all. You can sew your own clothing. The patterns can be out of tissue or someone who shows you can make it out of thin fabric from sewing store and you can adjust it to your size and length. The way clothes are made today, they will always shrink. One thing if you decide to sew wash fabric first and iron. Good luck with your mission. Or one more thing is tear apart one of your tops that shrunk but you like and use that and you can add or subtract from it.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM

I am size 3-4X and I have a hard time finding nice shirts that fit. I have used Simplicity 9210 size 24 more than once successfully. The pattern has more than one option and it's really not that hard to make. It's in the pattern catalog. I use my hip measurement to pick out the size because that's my plumpest part (!) even though I know you're supposed to use your bust measurement and go from there. Look in the catalogs in the Plus sizes section, you'll find something you like!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:21 AM

Mary Ann,
When I make clothes, I wash my fabrics first, so that the finished garments don't shrink. Use a poly thread, cotton thread doesn't have the give you need for a knit fabric.
When working with t-shirt knits make sure that the fabric stretch is running horizontally(around the body) or your garment won't fit. The old Stretch n' Sew patterns were wonderful, but I don't think they come in plus sizes. Simplicity has some easy patterns.
Sharon in Texas
Old 03-15-2015, 03:00 PM

Not sure if you're still looking for a pattern, but check out the ones by Connie Crawford for Butterick. Her patterns go up to very large sizes (6x) and they have extended instructions to help with the construction of the garments. Right now they are having a sale online, $3.99 for all patterns: http://butterick.mccall.com/. I'm a plus size too so I feel your pain about the cheap shirts shrinking. It has happened to me many times as well.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 PM

I also am a plus size 2X and really like the tops I get from Lands' End: the short sleeve polo shirts fit great and last forever, and their No Iron Pinpoint cotton button front shirts are crisp and flattering on. I buy both of these in multiple colors and wear them all the time!